WHY do parents send their kids to school when they're sick!?

I suppose this is more of a rant than a question. School has been in session hardly a month and already my daughter has had two head colds. She has a tough immune system and rarely got sick at her old school, but ever since I transfered her to this new school, she's been sick! Dr says it's not allergies either. I helped out in her classroom last week and noticed several kids - and teachers - with snotty noses, sneezing, etc. I work, and it sucks to have to burn a sick/vacation day to stay home with her when she's sick, but I'd rather do that rather than have her pass her germs onto someone else. I wish others had the same courtesy!

Which leads me to another question: Can you give kids Airborne? Just curious - I know I can pump her full if vitamin C and it will probably do the same trick.

MamaMia623

Asked by MamaMia623 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Free daycare!!
    Anonymous

• For one thing, some parents aren't fortunate enough to HAVE sick days or vacation days to "burn" to stay home with their kids, even if they could. My son loves school, and he doesn't want to miss anything going on at school, and prefers to go if he can. I personally think that if parents teach their children to wash their hands, use hand sanitizer, and cover their cough and sneeze, there would be less germs passed around.
    Anonymous

• Because if I kept my kids out for every sneeze or sniffle, they'd still be repeating kindergarten. Colds/coughs etc are a part of life.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• do you stay at home because snotty noses, sneezing?

I dont think so.. and thats your answer. A snotty nose and a little cough is not a reason to leave a child at home and as anonymous said, some parets arent fortunate enough to have sick days or vacation days to burn to stay home with their kids.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I think they make Airborne for kids. I used to work at Walgreens and I swear seeing a bunch of Airborne kids' products.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• The school will let you bring them, as long as they don't have a fever and are not vomiting and don't have diarrhea.  So alot of the blame has to be put on the schools. Also , Parents don't want to take off work.  Also the more days a child misses the more they get behind and possibly held back.  Everyone gets colds! You can't expect a child not to get sick with 20+ kids sitting in a small room breathing on each other!  If you keep a child home everytime they get a little sniffle they would never be in school.  It's part of being a parent!

Anonymous

• Airborne doesn't work! Do your research on the internet!
    Anonymous

• Colds (much different from every sneeze or sniffle) may be a part of life but staying away when sick is a sure way to cut down on the frequency of them.
    MamaMia623

Answer by MamaMia623 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I AGREE WITH YOU SISTA! It is terribly rude and inconsiderate to send sick, even semi-sick kids to school. Likewise, it is just as moronic to take your cold to work. I have known plenty of people who had tons of sick days but didn't want to use them because they could accumulate them and add them to their retirement! PEOPLE: It is just those two worse days where you're sneezing and pouring snot out of your nose that you are the most contagious - Please! STAY HOME! If your boss is such an A-- that he won't give sick days, start an employee protest and complain to the labor board.
    1-2caf

Answer by 1-2caf at 6:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I don't believe my kids should have to stay home if they just have a runny nose or light cough. They would never go to school. They only stay home if they have a fever or are throwing up. Lots of people have runny noses this time of year.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2008