how do you celebrate birthdays?

my aunt grew up in a house full of kids (7 total) and for birthdays they didn't have a lot of money so they would let the child pick what's for dinner and make a cake. do you do something similar or is it always with tons of gifts and stuff for birthdays?

angevil53

Asked by angevil53 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• we kept it low key and did similar to what you mentioned in your post. We gave the gift before we had cake.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i think gifts are must for birthdays. you dont have to go crazy spending hundreds of dollars, but you should get some gifts on your bday.

besides that, i think dinner and cake is nice.. but when kids are young, i think they should (maybe not every yr if not affordable) have nice partys with friends too. when i was younger, i always got a family party (dinner & cake with just family) & a friend party which usually involved either a sleepover, ice skating rink, movies, bowling, pool party, etc.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• we do cake, balloons and streamers and presents. i cook a meal the birthday person enjoys! the big kids have become accustomed to big parties, and i would like to steer away from that : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We do, my kids get to choose the meal and cake of course. Also, I have chosen not to do a big gift giving time. I spread it out all day long. So when we wake up, they get a little gift, to enjoy. And throughout the day...Then when family comes over for cake, they open any gifts as they come. I think that way they are not as overwhelmed with them all at once and appreciate them more,
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My kids know that if they want a party with all their friends, thats gonna be the gift. If they want something smaller, they get more stuff. Thats just the way its always been. I cannot afford to throw a huge party and spend a ton of money at the same time. We have done both thru the years. One time I took dd to Disneyland for her bday and she was disappointed about not getting a ton of gifts afterwards, had to remind her that Disney was the gift,,lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• With 2 kids, we decided that each kid would get a big birthday party every other year (alternating each year) On the alternate year, we'd still celebrate with family and a close friend or 2. Last year we took my ds and 2 of his friends to the movies and bought them popcorn, drinks and took them for ice cream after. It was small (under $50) and he LOVED it. Then we had a special birthday dinner with the 4 of us and his grandma and uncle. This year, he'll have a party at the bounce factory and get to invite his classmates. His sister had a smaller party and next year she'll get to have a bigger one.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010