Can you take prescription acid reflux meds during pregnancy?

I am about 6 wks along and the heartburn/acid reflux is getting so bad I can barely stand it. I can barely swallow a lot of the time, it feels like my throat is closing up. I have tried some OTC meds (pepcid, zantac, tums, rolaids) but nothing seems to really be working. Before I got pg I would get heartburn, take one pepcid and then it would go away. Now nothing makes it go away. I have even changed what I eat now and that doesn't seem to be helping either. I plan on asking my dr for something stronger but I am not sure if pregnant women can take those meds. Anyone had experience with this?

SarahFire82

Asked by SarahFire82 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes. My dr put me on Protonix with my 3rd pregnancy.

My dr says to try Zantac 150 (must be named brand the generic doesn't work) 2 times daily (1 pill every 12 hours). If that doesn't cut it (worked fine with my first 2 pregnancies) then she writes a prescription for Protonix.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• thanks! I have the generic zantac 150 but I can get the brand name.
    SarahFire82

Comment by SarahFire82 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes, I was, and still am on, Nexium and Ranitidine (Zantac)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Also wanted to add that the generic Zantac works just fine for me, in conjunction with Nexium, but I have severe reflux and hiatal hernia.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010