• In the Spotlight:

Is 6 years old too old to be pulled in a wagon so mom can get exercise?

I walk on a high school track but my son gets too tired and bored walking the 2 or 3 miles that I walk. I've tried a scooter and his bike, but he poops out after 1 lap. I'm missing out on my exercise.

kevinandmom

Asked by kevinandmom at 3:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes, he's way to old! Sounds like your son needs exercise!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• wow, that first answer was pretty disrespectful. thats a long hike and i dont think it shows your kid needs more exercise. have him walk a lap with you like youve been doing, you can pull him along too, i dont think its a big deal! try alternating, he walks with you, you pull him, he walks, you pull etc. if you want a super exercise try givin him a piggy back ride for a couple laps!! i think it would be fun and a massive workout for you!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I thought I was pretty safe with my question, but thank you amanduhpanda for your suggestions. He'll love the piggy back ride :)
    kevinandmom

Answer by kevinandmom at 4:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Actually, that sounds like a pretty good idea, since his weight will add to your workout routine. If it were me I would make him exercise at least part of the time, though, so he can get the benefits and start some good habits himself.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 4:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My kids are 5 and 7 they ride thier bikes. They need excersize too. They stay within in a resonable distance and we all just go, they ride, I walk....sometimes ride my bike. I wouldn't pull him, your going to end up hurting your back or something. Pulling a wagon I could never keep good posture, so I don't know how you do it.

Blessings.

http://www.4yourfam.com

lovin2Bme

Answer by lovin2Bme at 8:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I think the interval idea was a good one- he walks a lap, then you pull him a lap... then you can both get fit together
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yeah, I'd let him start out on his scooter or what ever and then let him ride when he gets worn out. He'll eventually be able to go farther on his own. ;) Maybe you can even find a way for him to alternate the ways he does his laps so that it stays fun for him. Good luck!
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2008