son's urine has a strong odor?? adult content

When my 3yr old son goes potty, it has a very strong odor...and i've no idea why. he stays hydrated, he even asks for water sometimes. him and my dd drink the same thing, and she doesn't have an odor...what could it be? is it take him to the doctor serious, or something i can do on my own? cranberry juice or something...? money is a little tight but if i have to i'll call his doc...he's acting fine btw, not acting like he's in pain, he's acting normal. actually right now he's wrestling with daddy in the living room. TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe focus more on water and milk and nothing else for a couple days and see what happens. Food like asparagus can change the smell of urine. Could be a hormonal thing too. If he's otherwise healthy, I really wouldn't worry about it. Try the water/milk thing for a couple days to see if it changes.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Web MD this and see if he has had anything from the list of foods that change the smell of odor. Normally this is a lack of water, so maybe try to get him to drink more water and stop other fluids for a couple of days to see how it goes. This can also be caused by vitamins if you are giving him any try stopping those for a couple days to see if that was it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 5:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• he hasn't had anything different to eat, he's super picky with his food, what's on the list he eats is alot shorter than what he doesn't eat. as for vitamins, he refuses to eat them too, he hates hard candy, and chewy candy, and i can't fine the vitamin suckers. so he doesn't take them. my dd does though. the flinstones ones.

i guess i'll just have to cut the juice out all together. he only gets 2 small kids' cups of juice a day...will watering it down help or should i just straight up give him water?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Is he potty trained? If he's not, different brand of diapers? If potty trained look at the color of his urine for clues as to what is going on.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• my 3yr old daughters is teh same way...i cant stand the smell.and she also stays hyrdrated shes always drinking.idk why either.she is potty trained..she acts fine too.ive never brought it up to the doc..i thought maybe it was normal shes my 1st kid potty trained so idk much about it.i hope you find answers
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 9:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Give him water! even flavored water if you have to, and anytime you give him juice I'd dilute it. That's what I do with my son.
    bianchi01

Answer by bianchi01 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't make a special trip to the doctor but maybe you could call the pediatrician and just ask what he/she thinks, if you can't get an answer the next well check or sick appointment you need to take him in for would be a good time to ask. My son is fed via GJ tube and is on a strict diet and he has the same issue but I think his is due to the water intake maybe needing more, but good luck!
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 2:39 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Drink more water!!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010