S/O of the Christio-Wiccan question

Why is it the same people insisting that they are allowed to define witchcraft, Wicca, paganism and any other religion they don't personally practice, are also insisting that only they can define what is or isn't acceptable in terms of Christianity, and reject/downvote any answer that points out conflicts within their own faith? Is there a logic to this, or is it just prejudice?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• they are the ones with a problem..
    I disagree with the Christo-wiccan thing but people make their own choices and i will get out as much info as I can to let you know why it is against the word of God. The rest is left to God Himself.
    I personally do not downvote unless it is a nasty nasty response that doesnt deserve a place in the thread. I mostly upvote or nothing at all . I have been downvoted as you know and I found it rather hilariously funny because it wasnt even a bad response, just how I felt and everyone else disagreed... personally I saw it as an immature way of responding but hey if the shoe fits wear it! :-) If it works well for you great! :-) My only question is.. does it make you feel good? If it does there is an issue there.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• bc people are idiots and think that only thier opinion counts. they believe that only they can be right, therefore EVERYONE else is wrong. you will always find these kinds of people in pretty much any venue, but particularly when it comes to religion bc no one wants to be told that they chose the wrong thing and have been practicing it incorrectly. i have noticed that christians of all faiths are harder on other religions including those in christianity.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Well, fortunately for some of us, what the Judeo-Christian god is for--or against--means exactly ZILCH. We don't worship him. We don't respect him. We don't give a crap about him or his so-called "word". And speaking for myself, I DON'T WANT HIM! You can keep him. That's alright with me. Oh, sorry, I just broke into a polka song there for a sec.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 8:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• And to the o.p.--yes, we clear-thinking non-believing heathen witches define our own beliefs. Why christians can't just stick to defining their own is beyond me. It frightens them, I think. Somebody out there somewhere, living life freely, the way they want and making use of their own power to guide their life path. And all WITHOUT the christians' prissy, useless, imaginary deity. What frightens them so much is what exhilirates me!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 8:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If a word can mean anything, then there is no meaning to the word. Same goes for religion, if it means nothing at all, then anything can be a part of that religion. Boundariesand defined meanings serve a purpose, to identify what something is or is not. A religion has the responsibility to define itself and those around them according to their beliefs. Even if it excludes those who try to place themselves under that banner when they don't belong because they rejected the fundamentals of that religion.

As to the down-voting, be careful that you don't make incorrect assumptions as to why something was down-voted. You assume but do not know for sure.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have seen that people sometimes downvote answers that were not rude at all, and I think that is very much like junior high behavior. I think the only responses that deserve downvotes are the ones that are rude and nasty.

To answer your question the best I can, I think the very early Christian church best defines Christianity. I'm not sure who defines other religions, so I can't answer that.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• As to the down-voting, be careful that you don't make incorrect assumptions as to why something was down-voted. You assume but do not know for sure.

My issue wasn't the downvoting - it's the attitude that goes with it - Christianity may only be defined as the Christian speaking at the time defines it (and btw, all you other Christians who disagree with them, you're doing it wrong). Meanwhile, the Christian speaking at the time is also the only one allowed to define everyone else's religion and practices. Can't have it both ways - that's obvious. I'm asking for an explanation of why they think they are entitled to do so.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• people do not define what is or isn't acceptable in terms of Christianity. The Bible does. The Bible also defines these other religion and practices. I believe the Bible to be 100% perfect, pure and infallable. That however is another debate. (Just had this debate in another group and don't have the time or energy to go into it again here). I believe that every word comes straight from God. True, Biblical Christianity did not come from man, or tradition, it came from Christ.. Many people say they are Christians, but do not practice true Christianity, only man's watered down, twisted versions of it. A Christian should follow the teachings of Christ, not man and not his/her own beliefs. And since we learn about Christ's teachings from the Bible, we can see what a true Christian is and what he/she should believe. That is what defines Christianity.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 4:45 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• people do not define what is or isn't acceptable in terms of Christianity

Would you like me to give you links to all the questions disproving this or would you prefer to just read all the other questions in this section on your own?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• "Can't have it both ways - that's obvious. I'm asking for an explanation of why they think they are entitled to do so. "

Because Galileo was wrong and this really is a Copernican universe.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2010