Amniocentesis?

so i went today for an ultrasound and it was decided that my baby needs to be born in the next two weeks which means i will only be 37 weeks pregnant. Will an amniocentesis be necessary and if so how does it work and is it painful?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 5:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• For the ladies who are unclear...Amniocentesis is used to check for genetic disorders in early pregnancy and lung maturity in late pregnancy.

What did your doctor say? Is this your first child?
    happySAHMmomof2

Answer by happySAHMmomof2 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I had one to check for lung maturity before my induction at 36 weeks. It was really creepy, but there was no pain.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yes necessary to check if the lungs are mature,and it doesn't hurt. Just a pick of a needle with Lidocaine and a little pressure

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• amniocentesis
    why would you be having this now?
    this done earlier to test for dna related issues??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• What is the reason that your baby has to be born early? That would help answer the amnio question.

I had an amnio done at 20 weeks, after poor prenatal diagnosis and it was not fun. It's not any kind of unbearable pain, but it's a lot of cramping and just a completely unnatural feeling.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I was not numbed at all when I had mine done...FYI.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I had one at about 20ish weeks. Sure it doesn't feel good, but it wasn't as bad as I'd expected it to be. Going in the needle just felt like a lot of pressure and a bit of a poke, coming out caused some cramping. I took it easy the rest of the day and had no problems. The cramping during and immediately after wasn't as painful as the general ligament pain.

As far as if you should do it or not, that's really something you should discuss/decide with your doctor and SO. What other options do you have?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I had one at 20 weeks and I didn't think it hurt, but I do remember some cramping afterward—nothing bad, though.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I was 36wks when I got it done my baby was also going to be born early due to low fluid and low weight and they wanted to make sure her lungs were mature it is not bad and before they poke you they find a place in your tummy where theirs a good pocket of fluid and where they baby is hardlt near when they poke you they are doing a sono at the same time the results take 2hrs to come in my dd lungs werent mature so they gave me a second dose of steroids and 5 days later they did another amnio to check the lungs that was on a fri and her lungs were ready so they scheduled me to go to L&D that night to get induced and I had her on Sat morning I was also 37 weeks that day and we were able to go home Sunday afternoon. Good Luck
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 9:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• they can use a u/s u dont need amnio
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010