How can someone show proof of income if its different every day?

and in cash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I get paid in cash but I also get a receipt that shows how many hours I worked, how much I made, and how much taxes were taken out. Maybe you could request something like this as well.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Best options I've heard is last year's tax return or a few months of bank statements. Good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 5:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• maybe a statement from whoever is giving you the cash. or however your earning it.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 5:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Proving income while getting paid in cash is almost impossible. You might have issue with whoever is paying getting into trouble with taxes, or both parties! Good luck.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• you can't prove it unless it's on the books and taxes are paid. Why do you need to prove cash? That's not an income, you need proof. That's why it's called proof of income. So it's illegal to claim cash. Why would you claim this, from tips I guess. ? Normally tips are rounded off as a minimum wage and any higher than that you would keep and just say nothing to anyone. You've earned it! !
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 6:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• No, all I get paid is cash. from several people. And where I work for pays their taxes, I have to pay money to them every day I work. I need to prove my income for any assistance I may need, or for an apartment. And I didn't get any taxes last year.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 6:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree with coffeeyum, ifyou are being paid "under the table" you aren't legally paying taxes and having deductions withheld, which you can get in trouble for. I'd request that from now on you are paid LEGALLY.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• coffeeyum: In my state, tips are NOT rounded off as minimum wage; they have to be reported end of day after tipping out the bussers etc. I've worked in 2 states with the same format, California and Oregon.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• OP, it sounds to me like the place you work should be responsible for giving you an earning statement on a regular basis. If they aren't, then they are probably NOT paying employee taxes, like your FICA, Social Security, and unemployment taxes. If they can't prove to you that they are, then they're probably not. Which would mean you have to pay these taxes on your own or risk getting in big trouble.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Do you have invoices for them? I think that would be enough. Also if you are running the cash through your bank- a bank statement should also be enough proof of income.

They might also require a personal statement from you saying how much you charge per hour, and how many hours you work a week.

GOOD LUCK!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2010