Dogs and vet costs

My dog is 12, he has a large lump that has appeared on the left side of his neck. I feel terrible that we cannot afford the vet costs to biopsy it and possibly have it removed or even chemo. What would you do? I love my dog, he has been a part of the family for 12 yrs now but things have changed for us financially and we can barely afford our bills right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Pets

• Call your local animal shelter. They can usually direct you to a vet that will price by your income.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Agreed with PP - also, some vets will let you do a deferred payment... or payment plan. I know our vet offered to neuter our dog and remove a tumor from his leg at the same time (plus send it off to pathology) for 1/2 down and 1/2 within 6 mos of the surgery. Otherwise... just continue to include him in your family. He is old, and has had (hopefully) a good life... enjoy the rest of it while you can. The chemo would make him miserable... would you really want that for him? I'm just speaking from experience. You need to chat just PM me....
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree that 12 is old for a dog and you don't need to feel bad if you can't afford vet costs. Start saving setting some money aside so that if he starts getting in pain you can take him to the vet for euthanasia. If you can't afford that you may be able to take him to your city animal shelter for the euthanasia for around $10 when the time comes.

I'm so sorry. My best dog ever died of cancer 3 years ago and I'm still sad. I know how hard it can be.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree that you shouldn't go hungry for vet bills. We have racked up big bills at the vet, ours lets us pay payments. I decided we won't do that again.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Thanks all of you, he has had a nice life, he still loves to play fetch and chase our cat. If we think he really needs a checkup or care will check w my local shelter for advice.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 9:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree with asking about making payments or calling a local animal shelter to see if they will help with cost. You can also check out http://www.carecredit.com/. I don't think that 12 is that old. Dogs can live 16 or more yrs. If it was your 80 yr old grandfather who was sick, would you just let it go?? Or would you find a way to help him?
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Okay well first off.... YOU DON"T KNOW THAT IT IS CANCER! Let's be positive. Is your dog over-weight? If he his it is probably just a fatty tumor...they are very common. Secondly, if your dog is in pain or ADR (Ain't Doin Right) this could just be associated with the aging process. Also sign up for "carecredit" it is a interest free credit card for your animal to use at the vet. (carecredit.com) If it turns out your dog does have cancer, please don't try to heal him, that would be a waste of money and energy on your part, instead spoil him rotten and love on him and as soon as you are ready please take him to the vet to be put down. They will relax him and put him to sleep before he is actually euthanized. it will be very peaceful and he will not be scared or suffer. Good Luck sweety! I know it's hard to let go of a good dog. I just had to put my ol' lab down and I had her for over 19 years. She was the best damn dog!

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010