do you have a child with a disability

how do you handle it? i'm exhausted and i think it's because i don't know exactly what's wrong with my son except for sensory issues ho do you look that up on the internet

natasha86

Asked by natasha86 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• type in his "symptoms" on Google... or just give us a "day to day" about what your son is like, a lot of moms on here have "special" children and we can relate. Personally, my son is PDD-NOS, which is doctor-speak for "I have no f'in clue". Yeah.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't have a disabled child but I work with children with all kinds of disabilities. I know how exhausting it can be but these kids are so sweet and good-hearted you must feel so proud in the end of the day :)

Go on this link:

http://www.essortment.com/all/sensorydisorder_rhky.htm

GL
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 6:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• very flighty like unable to sit still for more then 30secs not really knowing right from wrong
    natasha86

Comment by natasha86 (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Are you asking for sensory information?You can find an SPD checklist here http://www.spdfoundation.net/. I have to with SPD and other issues, both are on the spectrum but do not have Autism, or so they say anyways. It is exhausting, we take it one minute at a time. Have you looked into early steps for an evaluation? that may be a first step if you haevnt. Good luck, im on every day if you want to talk.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My three children have a life-threatening genetic immune deficiency disease and only had about a 50/50% chance of surviving to adulthood. My youngest also has developmental disabilities and a low IQ, bipolar disorder, and tactile sensitivities.

To find info go to google and type in key words like tactile sensitivities. If you don't find what you are looking for try other words like tactile defensiveness. I think this is what you mean by sensory issues. Having special needs children is exhausting.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i took him in cause i was worried about his speech(4 years and barely able to string sentences together) and the testing say he is delayed in some areas because he just didn't want to do them and in like 95 percentile in other areas. it gets frustrating cause he is very inteligent but only when he wants to be.
    natasha86

Comment by natasha86 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My son has a a mitochondrial disease, which is a progressive disease and life-threatening. It can be challenging to have a special needs child, as well as emotionally & physically draining, but it can also be very rewarding. Looking at each day as a separate & new adventure helps, because it allows you to release the emotions of the day before, rather than hanging onto them and allowing the frustration, fear or anger build. Always expect things to go well, but don't be surprised when they don't, and be prepared for any contingency.

For the sensory things...look up Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) on the internet. There are also numerous special needs groups here on CM (I admin "Parenting Special Needs Children" & own another special needs group for my local area) and even one specifically for those with SPD. Also, at age 4, your child can receive speech & other services through your local school district for free.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My son was diagnosed with autism when he was 3 years old. Yes, it's exhausting and challenging to have a special needs child, but think about what it may be like for them~ the typical world must be a scary place to be and if they can't express themselves effectively, it makes it even more frustrating for them I'm sure!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 11:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010