how do i get my son to be nice to our pets?

my 2 yr old son is generally nice to our dogs but there are times that he gets mean. it's only to the small dogs though. he will grab their legs and pull or he'll just flat out hit them. we have put him in time out for this but it doesn't seem to be working. we have also explained to him that hitting is not nice and he needs to be nice to the dogs. i'm not sure how else to get him to stop hitting them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you might spank, it's along the lines of letting him know it hurts to hit. but i would continue the time outs, with nose in the corner. animal abuse is serious and can cause problems for your pet and shouldn't be taken lightly
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• First he is to young to be alone with any pets. IMO. I really do not think he understands they are not toys to play with. I bet if one of the dogs bite him he will leave them alone.

Answer by louise2 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• my daughter will do this to my moms chihuahua...we have 2 85 pound pitbulls so she'll smack them and they don't even feel it. When she does it to a small dog, however, they feel it. I think she's just playing and doesn't mean anything by it. If he's doing it deliberately, I would tell him to please pet the doggy and be nice. that the doggy loves him and wants him to be gentle. This has worked with our two cats. You don't want it to continue b/c those little dogs (yes all dogs) but mainly little dogs can get very nippy.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I hate to say it, but what have you been doing so far? because our son has known for months how to be gentla with our cats, and he is only 19 months old. It may be partly his personality - he is mellow and sweet, not aggressive in any way. But we started when he was born basically. Any interaction with pets was supervised and we encouraged the nice petting and discouraged the rough stuff. i still don't leave him unsupervised with the cats, but I can trust him to be good - he hasn't had an issue or incident in many months now. You just have to be consistent and make a very big deal out of it when they do the right thing. Give it a name - we used "nice." We used that word over and over again while taking his hand and petting the cats with it. "Nice" was one of the first words he said and he still says it when he is petting a kitty, or any other animal, even his stuffed animals lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2010