How many would like to see more invested rather than cut back for colleges?

Gee, what a concept, invest in the upcoming generation rather than giving bucketloads of money to the banks ....

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• not just colleges, all education!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Truthfully, I think colleges are doing fairly well. My sons school has been given grants for several programs and just completed a 5 story parking garage.
    My daughter attends a Jr college a mile from our house . They are building a new Child education building complete with daycare center for students children(whats better than hands on education) and are redoing most of the parking lots.
    I, on the other hand still get nothing towards their tuition and have had my college district taxes go up.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My kids attended private schools (aka- parent funded) until they started University. They both chose public colleges over private, and I must say, I think the Universities in CA produce a great deal of bang for the buck (of course our income taxes and property taxes are high), but I have zero complaints about  college costs. Much, more cost effective than Catholic HS.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• They are not giving money too the banks now, they are giving it to union pensions. That's what the 26 billion stimulus they just passed was for.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It's funny. My local dj's were discussing this yesterday. Here in SC our public schools are in bottom 5 in the country. A few years back they started the education lottery. A lot of us thought the money would go to improving our schools. I think they said around 20 percent goes to the schools. The rest is allocated to higher education. While I don't begrudge our universities a deserved subsidy I would like to see it go into our public schools first. Our kids need a chance at succeeding at college and currently our drop out rate among the highest in the country.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 7:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• They have all this money to give out but we have to buy school supplies.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2010