Would you let your junior high daughter walk home alone?

I passed by a junior high school today on the way to the base. There was a single young girl walking home. In today's crazy times, I just cannot imagine letting a young person walk home on a very busy road, even with a sidewalk. I used to walk to and from school alone, but that was back in the 1960's and 1970's. There were nuts then, but there are so many more today.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 7:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't let my kids walk home alone! They have to have a friend to walk with for most of the way. Sometimes they have walked from 2 blocks aways with me standing on the corner to see them if the friend can't go all the way.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would, yes, so long as home were within a reasonable walking distance.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The crime rate was higher in the 70's. I'd certainly let my pre-teen walk home from school.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My 12 yo and my 7 yo ds's walk to and from school together everyday. My 5yo niece will be walking home with them this coming school year and, in a few years, 3 or 4, she may have to walk alone when my older son is in high school and my middle son has extra-curricular activities. I think I'd rather they walk home along a busy road with lots of people over a more deserted one.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Sure would. Mine have been taught to defend herself against an attacker and knows to shout fire and never rape, that sort of thing. They also knows to knock on a door and ask for help if they needs it. They never have and are 17 and 15.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• lightbulbe =[ sorry to hear her that. Hope she is healing.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 7:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It depends how far you live and what kind of neighborhood you live in.. Does she have a cell phone in case of an emergency? is she vigilant of her surroundings? i used to walk home in middle school and high school but i was very aware of my surroundings and always had a cell phone in my hand..
    mayramommy1991

Answer by mayramommy1991 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• All three of my children would walk home from jr. high, sometimes together and more often alone as they were always involved in very different activities and walking home at different times.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 7:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My daughter is not that age yet by my 2 oldest son go to 2 different school and they both walk home. I have told them to never walk alone. Buddy system! We have kids in the neighborhood that walk home together. If any of my boys have to walk alone they have their cellphones incase of an emergency.
    MamiBella79

Answer by MamiBella79 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Definitely. I started walking to and from school (though with my sister; till she was still in elementary and I went to jr. high) when I was in 3rd grade. Not a big deal (and this was semi-recent; in the 90's).

Lightbulbe - I'm sorry to hear that happened to your daughter. However, are you going to shelter her forever? Part of the healing process is to continue to let her grow up and get on with life.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 8:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2010