Rash on baby

My baby is 20 months old and has a rash on her legs, stomach, chest, under arms and a little on her bum. It bothers her enough to itch it occasionally but not all the time. Her pedi can't figure out what it is. We did a 5 day treatment of Prednizone and have been using her eczema cream with no results. Nothing I do seems to have any effect on it. I have to take her to a dermatologist but so far the earliest appt I can get is November 22 which is way too long to wait. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas on what it could be?

dmdblleb

Asked by dmdblleb at 7:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• is the coco butter pure? try a pure (one ingredient) moisturizer like coconut oil, or shea butter. i would limit baths for sure. i know this is hard!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My DS got an rash on his entire body the day after I used Burts Bees Baby wash on him. I stopped it & it took about a week to disappear. Have you changed the baby wash, soap, laundry detergent or fed her anything different right before she got the rash?? What about household cleaners or bug sprays or where did you go different prior to the rash?? Could it be prickly heat? Has it been unusually warm in your home?? Hope some of this helps. Good luck!! Look in the yellow pages for another Dermatologist if it doesn't go away, someone should see you sooner.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Mine had rashes and we used Aveeno lotion and it helped.
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 8:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• my dd has skin issues. oatmeal baths help her a lot, as does avoiding almost all soaps and lotions! i think she reacts to coconut! have you seen an allergist yet? you mentioned eczema. how long has she had the rash? could it be food related?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Where did it start. My son has a mystery rash too! One doctor said it was Hand, Foot and Mouth and it would go away on it's own in a few weeks. After a few weeks my Aunt looked at it and said it was a yeast infection so we got some anti-fungal cream. That helped a little, but not enough. We took him to a different doctor who said there is bacteria in the rash so she gave us anti-bacterial/anti-fungal cream and it went away after a couple days. Now it's back.....
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It started in a small area on her leg and stomach. She's had it over 3 weeks now. We haven't used anything new. The pedi said if it was an allergic reaction it would be over her entire body not just in isolated areas. I do use Cocoa Butter on her.. I wonder if it could be that. I plan on calling her pedi tomorrow and see what she can do about getting her into a dermatologist sooner. I was just wondering if anyone here had any ideas.
    dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I looked up Hand, Foot and Mouth disease. I don't think it's that.
    dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I normally bathe her 2 times a day but I'm trying to cut back... No, it's the Queen Helene cocoa butter. I guess it's time to give that up too.
    dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My DGD had something like this that would not go away. The Dr. gave us an Rx for a tube of cream. Very expensive. It was something that I had heard of being used for acne in teens and young adults. It cleared it up and worked great.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• bathing a baby 2 times a day... is really over kill! babies need to be bathed no more than twice a week, with NO soap really... spot wash as needed after meals and playing... i would say that you are irritating the skin with excessive washing... i can't imagine WHY a baby would need to be bathed that much.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010