New here! So, I should not complain- my 5 month old has been sleeping from 8 pm to 7 am, with a dream feed at 11... BUT for a month now, she will not nap! She takes 20-30 min power naps, and gets cranky, and visibly tired! I have tried it all- put her down before she is tired, try to get her back to sleep when she wakes... is this a phase?! Or maybe I just have a non-napper? I'll take the nights vs. naps! And yes- she is eating solids, too! Any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you figure this out let me know!! my dd is the same way, except she's becoming a night owl!!..maybe it's just a phase bc my dd is only a month behind yours so who knows!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• It's a phase. It is WAY too early to decide if you have a non-napper or not. My little one pretty much refused to sleep at night or in the day until she was 10 months old then she started taking 2 regular naps. Now at 26 months, most days she settles right down for an hour and a half nap.

My best advice is to have a set naptime and don't vary it by more than 15 minutes. Do a short version of your bedtime routine for each nap - I make sure we rock and read a story.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• In the end, I had to just leave my daughter. I put her down for her nap and went back in an hour or when she woke up if it was over an hour. That was at 10 months - just before she started napping decently. I did find that she would frequently wake up at about 45 mintues in to the nap and fuss- even cry - for 5 minutes before going back to sleep for another 45 minutes to 1.5 hours.

Crying-it-out is a personal decision that has to be made by each parent based on each baby's behavior. One-size-fits-all does not work for parenting. If it's not for you, it's not for you. I didn't want to do it but my daughter was much happier (and so was I) once she learned that naptime was naptime.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• by the time your baby crys and rubs their eyes showing you their tired their over tired to sleep. try to get them to nap afer an hour or two of being awake or when you know that they'll begin to get tired try to get them down a half hour before they start to show that their sleepy.
    mamma_lyn

Answer by mamma_lyn at 11:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• no tips.. but my five month old is doing the SAME exact thing. She's breastfed, sleeps 10-12 hours at night, and has decided not to nap anymore besides 30-40 minutes at a time. She used to nap great! Maybe this just starts happening around this time? If you find anything that works, definitely let me know.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2008