How far would you go to have a "Great" marriage instead of an "ok" marriage?

Or if you marriage was "ok" would you rather not rock the boat?

Like, for example, you hunger for more closeness but your husband is not very open to change or growth, but is really a decent person.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I do whatever it takes. Why? B/c my marriage is the foundation our family is built upon. Our marriage crumbles, our family will no longer exist.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i would do what it takes to make my marriage the best.
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 7:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• What is good? What is great? What is ok? Depends on the person looking at it. You might think your marriage is ok. But he might think your marriage is great. Communication is what is needed to have a good or great marriage.

Answer by louise2 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Sometimes my marriage is good. Other times it's annoying. But some days it is just spectacular. It just is and I live every day for the moments like today when I got home from work and he greeted me at the door with a big smile and arms outstretched to hug me. I would go to the end of the world to make him feel as happy as he makes me feel.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would go to the end of the earth & beyond to make my relationship be the best it could be.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If I thought my marriage was just "ok" I would talk to my DH about it. I would expect the same from him. It's important that both partners are happy - sometimes it's painful to discuss, but I think it's almost always worth it. Marriage takes effort, attention, and communication.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• 23 years we are solid in our marriage ..As a child my mom instilled in me tranquility to the soul and peace to the mind, so that you and your man may live together in an atmosphere of love, mercy, harmony, co-operation as one mine, mutual advice and tolerance of each other, and lay the foundation for raising a family in a nurturing, sound environment.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 8:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• @ Louise2: the definition of a great marriage is not that relative.... as long as one person is discontent, it's not a great marriage. Even if that person is totally wrong.

I love my DH and want to be with him for the rest of my life, but we're at a stand still in terms of emotional intimacy and there are some barriers between us that lots of communication and even therapy have not been able to identify or break down. I have lots to be thankful for, but I still feel isolated in many ways, and I want more closeness.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• To anonymous.... If therapy can not fix your problems and you two alone can not fix you problems. Then you need to rethink staying with a person, in a marriage that is not working.. some times you have to not think with your heart, but with you head. If you are unhappy. Move on. Find some one who will make you happy.

Answer by louise2 at 5:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2010