When life is rough, why do people always say it's because we need to pray more?

It get quite offensive. Due to the economy, we being self employed, and the...um...politics, we are going under. Ty, ty.... So, Why is it necessary for people to figure God is mad at us for not being religious enough? That we should "get our lives straight by attending church every time the doors are open"? I just am almost done holding my tongue.

Basically, IMO, they're saying it's our fault. God would have taken care of us if we would have been strict followers.

Right....that's why when we planned a trip last weekend to hike a mountain, our plans were to prayerfully discuss our life and future plans....Yet, our car broke down in the middle of nowhere. hmmm

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 8:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Don't know, I'm not one of those ppl. I say "Life sucks, get a helmet!"
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• that is their way of dealing with stress.

Answer by louise2 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I'm with you Nyx7!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Religious slaves are not equipped to give practical real-life answers, because, basically, they never GOT any practical, real-life answers from their church or it's leaders. Prayer, to me, is simply sitting back on your big butt, doing nothing. I put more action into my spells! Life is hard and then you die. All the rest is crap filling. Or try, sometimes you're up and things are going great, and sometimes you couldn't catch a break if a bulldozer ran over your leg. And I agree with you, o.p. It is offensive. Not to mention insulting.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 8:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Some people pray, some workout. It's whatever works for that person, really.
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 8:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Because that's something that helps them cope during hard times, and they're only trying to share what works for them. I truly doubt their intentions are to ram religion down your throat.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• coping mechanism, it sucks! does that mean i messed up before i was born and GOD killed my father? wtf? i don't think so. life just sucks sometimes and they want someone or something to blame it on.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Cause you don't have to think about anything to balme it on prayer.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I know they're not just sharing. They are full on condeming. They say "WELL, are you tithing?" The Lord does not bless you with out your obedience to tithing. " You need to get your life straight and go to church." My life was straight. Infact part of the failure in our construction business was that we are NOT shady whatsoever. Those making it are the ones operating illegally w/out license, insurance and bonding. Or the ones who bid jobs really cheap. After tricking owners into contract, they slap the thousands of dollars change orders on them.

They are doing excellent. And half of them go to church. Take part in non Christian lifestyle behaviors, one even recently caught and went to jail.
    So....that is why we get offended when people compare us to them and literally say WE need to get our lives straight. So sad. They've really had the wool pulled over their eyes
    thelowlander

Comment by thelowlander (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It works for me believe it or not.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2010