If you've had an elective induction and then the baby was born at only 4 lbs., do you realize you put your baby in such danger?

pregnancy, labor, delivery, health, safety, selfishness

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't really understand the question....yes, inducing too early can cause complications and health problems for your child, they may end up in the NICU for a few days due to underdeveloped lungs. But I can not imagine a doctor allowing an induction of labor if it would endanger the baby, unless the mother was in danger if she kept it longer...

But I still do not really understand your question...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I have never heard of a Dr who will induce just b/c a mother wants it....the mother usually has to be at term and be healthy and approved by the Dr......Dr's dont follow mothers orders....?????
    Anonymous

• I had a natural child birth and delivered 5 days past my EDD. My daughter weighted 4 lbs 11 1/2 OZ. I do not blame myself for it!  I was only given one ultrasound at 5 months. I expressed concern for my baby in my third trimester when I didn't feel her move much. Had another ultrasound been done the doc would have seen that the placenta stopped growing and was unable to provide my daughter with the proper nutrients to grow. She needed oxygen for over two months, a heart murmur for the first year and reflux. She is still small for her age and has occasional problems with reflux but she has not had any other ill effects.

tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Obviously, the question is about electively inducing before they are full term.
    Anonymous

• As already mentioned, I don't know any doctor that will arbitrairly induce before full term...my docs won't induce prior to 39 weeks without an ultrasound and an amnio showing that the baby is developed enough, and won't induce at all prior to 38 weeks without a darn good medical emergency requiring it.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• As already mentioned, I don't know any doctor that will arbitrairly induce before full term...my docs won't induce prior to 39 weeks without an ultrasound and an amnio showing that the baby is developed enough, and won't induce at all prior to 38 weeks without a darn good medical emergency requiring it.~ thalassa

Exactly...not sure what the OP was trying to get at or ask about....but you don't get to choose when you are induced.  And you certainly don't walk in at 30 weeks and say you want to have the baby now and they do it.  It doesn't work that way.

Anonymous