Why DON'T YOU homeschool your child?

I homeschool my daughters and people always ask me WHY and I have to list all the possitives in homeschooling. Could you ladies tell me why you choose to send your children to public schools?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am a teacher. I feel my son benefits from his private preschool and will be more than fine in his public school. I choose which public school to send him to b/c it was better. I also feel he needs to be around other children more than I can provide him homeschooling. I also think he learns better with a teacher, not his mom. I also feel I am lacking in math and science. I do not agree with learning it as he learns it. Homeschooling for me would only happen if he had a disability. Other than that...I can be involved in school, send him to the best school, and work with him at home. Exacty what I am doing right now. He is an only child...he needs socialization. Most homeschool kids I know...that is what they lack. Plus I want him around different types of people, I want him to experience things, and overall my husband and I are confident in our decision.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't think I'm nearly qualified and I pay for it with my taxes so I'll let the professional do it. But by no means do I think your wrong for homeschooling your children and I don't need any reasons I'm sure you have good ones. More power to ya.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I honesty don't believe I'm qualified. I don't want them to miss something because I forgot to include it in the lesson plan.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i am not patient enough nor do i feel even remotely qualified to teach.
    bzyblondmomof5

Answer by bzyblondmomof5 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Even though I am a teacher, thus fully qualified to homeschool my kids, I believe school is like a small society my DD learns to be a part of. She interacts with children her age, she makes friends, she learns to play, share, argue etc.

Homeschooling is good for some families but it doesn't match with the way I want my own children to be raised.

Different strokes for different folks! :)
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I seriously considered homeschooling. I met with a mom who homeschooled her children and weighed the positives and the negatives. As my son got older(he's only four), I decided that I would go nuts staying home and homeschooling. Plus, I knew that he will flurish(sp?) in school. He was in birth-3 and got into the preschool due to his needs. He is in the Elementary school right now, they have a preschool there. He works with a physical therapist. He LOVES school. I add to what he learns in school by taking him to tons of extra educational places. I feel that public school was the best choice for my son.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would LOVE to homeschool. But, alas, I know that I don't have the dedication and follow-through to do it. I know this when I look around my house at all of the unfinished "hobbies of the moment". So I will leave school to the schools and I will take care of the values, morals, and life lessons.
    Proudmumof2

Answer by Proudmumof2 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• education on a school building, with classes , teachers, and others whom believed in that cause to teach, will most likely admit they love what they do. Sure not each child sponges each and every tidbit of minute detail. They are children, but if I was to really raise them from day one, buy myself, I think I would go absolutely no doubt ----straight-jacket. Yes this life of going to real life factory tours, and showing them the up close one on one version is good for them. But let's face it , I believe moms enjoy the break. Different children enjoy different settings. Some love the mom so much they 'd never see anything else, and learn better with mom. Mine aren't going to ever see that. I again, enjoy the break, and the teachers are so very good at what they were believing in, to be the best influence on many little minds and little hearts. They are teachers, it's what they do very well. !
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• For me it's lots of reasons: 1). I have to work so I don't have the option of being able to stay home to teach my kids even if I really wanted to 2). I want my kids to experience all the things that I did including school dances/prom, homecoming, school sports etc 3). having a diverse education with exposure to lots of different teachers and styles of teaching instead of just me 4). diversity of people around them, peers and others and learning how to cope with that diversity, all those social aspects that I cannot provide at home 5). it's free whereas home school there are costs involved for the parents in terms of ordering supplies & books etc 6). the abundance of resources at public schools such as tutors, student counselors, extracurricular groups such as student council and different clubs and 7). I don't believe I am qualified to adequately teach, I'll let a person with a degree in education do that ;-)
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I so wanted to homeschool my youngest and I know that I could do it ~ but, homeschooling really requires the cooperation of everyone in the household and I just don't get enough of that to be able to do it properly. My little guy starts Kindergarten next week and he starts with a great base of knowledge from my teaching him for the past year instead of going to preschool.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2010