Why do women put blonde streaks in their hair?

I'm talking about the 1/2 to 1inch thick yellow streaks of blonde in their completely burnette hair. I know my opinion doesn't matter, and that's good. If it makes them feel beautiful, go for it! ;) But, IMO, ewwww. It's not pretty. Why do they do this? Did their Salon tech convince them to do this?

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 8:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I've seen two or three people who looked good with it, but I agree that most people don't. But then I'm sure most people don't think I look good with bright red hair and thick black streaks lol. I know my mom hates it because I'm a natural blond, but oh well. But, if they like it and they really feel good about the way they look, that shows and I think it looks good on them because it makes them feel good.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The girl who used to do my hair (she changed professions) used to call it the "bumblebee". She wasn't meaning it in a cute way, either, lol.
    mictamali

Answer by mictamali at 8:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The huge chunks look terrible, and I don't understand this either. Maybe they are doing it to stand out or have always done it that way and are afraid for a change.
    Tatted_Momma

Answer by Tatted_Momma at 8:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i'm with you, OP! i hate that look, and refused to do it to any of my clients. i'd usually persuade them to add another color in the mix, so the contrast wasn't so..contrasted. very stripey, very ugly, IMO.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Ive seen some women who have them and actually look good w/ it. :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 8:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• IDK. I think highlights can be a beautiful accent, but the huge chunky streaks just look fake to me. I knew a girl who did it for her wedding! I couldn't help thinking she was going to regret looking at her wedding pictures in about 10 years. Oh well. Whatevs.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Its to add dimension to their hair or to break up the burnette.
    mayramommy1991

Answer by mayramommy1991 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Some of us grayhairs use that technique to ease the transition from light and dark. It is quite trendy and can be done fashionably.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i wouldn't try to get someone to do this to their hair, but on the other hand i know far too many people come in wanting blonding in their brunette hair and it looks like $hit! i don't want to do it to their hair but they pay the bills. and having one tone blonde hair is AWEFUL! put some dimension grabbing lowlights in there to make it look better.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The "bumble bee"! Love it;) I'll have to use that one
    thelowlander

Comment by thelowlander (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2010