Do you judge people when you first meet them/see them?

If you're walking through the mall and you see one person in all black, spiked hair, lots of chains, dark makeup and nail polish, tattoos and piercings, what do you think? Do you even notice? What about a middle aged lady with perfect hair, a nice outfit, a few classy pieces of jewelry?

When you see random people that you do not know, do you make assumptions and/or judgments about them, or do you just have an opinion on how they look (like, "Ew I HATE that shirt!" or "I would never wear my hair like that." or "The thought of getting a tattoo freaks me out! I HATE needles!")? Or do you even notice people and their appearance?

Just wondering :) Be honest and play nice.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• normally, i don't even notice. i have a couple of kids that might break into a fight, and another that could escape at any moment. so, i am focused on disaster prevention!
    before i had 5 kids, ,i might have noticed things...i would not make judgements about the character of the people, but i would think...she looks very well put together...she has cute shoes...wow, he could poke an eye out with that spiked hair (just kidding)

i can't think of thinking anything bad about people though...maybe if someone smelled bad i might think wow, that person smells bad!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes,and if anyone says they don't,they're lying.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Of course. And anyone that says they don't is lying.

Now do I let that first impression keep me from getting to know the person? No.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i do, mine is mostly for people who look like they are in a bad mood or do drugs, i think i want to avoid them.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I've yet to meet ANYONE who hasn't had something to say about the way someone looks at one time or another. First impressions are important and while I try to not judge someone by the way they look...at times it is hard when their attire screams for attention or when their muffin roll is visibly hanging down below their shirt...lol.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't judge the person but I do make judgments about their clothes. I can't help it.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• First impressions are lasting impressions. We make judgments based on experiences. Your experiences may be different than mine, so my impressions my be different from yours. Why assume all first impressions are one way or the other? Isn't that just as much a form or stereotyping as one thinks we may be doing?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I don't judge, I wonder what is behind the spikes and blk polish. ( everyone has a story )
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 8:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i really try not to based on looks but if they act horribly then i get a negative image of them. some of the sweetest most knowledgeable people i know dress like that so i hardly give it a second look
    bzyblondmomof5

Answer by bzyblondmomof5 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Who say's judging people has to be bad? Judging the lady who is dressed nice, you would judge her in a positive way, right? So that's not bad. Judging people isn't always bad.

Yes, I judge. I think it's human nature. But like a pp, that doesn't mean I it keeps me from getting to know them. It might take me a bit longer, but it doesn't have to stop me. I love people watching. It's great fun!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010