Why do young toddlers do this?!?!!!!

They ask for a cup. Then you give them the cup the specifically pointed at, and they scream and throw it?! I don't get it.

I can even put different things in it. Still doesn't want it. ugh. Not a big deal, but just curious why they do this.

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 8:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• TESTING you to see if you will jump..
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 8:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• because they can.......

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If you are trying to satisfy a toddler by putting different things in a cup that the screamed and threw a fit about your toddler has turned it into a game. Toddlers are trying to figure out who is in control and right now yours is hearing that they are. Give them the cup if they throw a fit put it in the fridge and walk away. Give them a few minutes to calm down and if they act like they want it give it back with the same contents. Repeat until they get it.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• testing you, she wants to see how far she can push her limits and how you'll react! it's part of the whole learning process! have fun! :)
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• oh ya...she's testing and I think my dd is the pro at this one....I just say "ok, when you decide what you want and can say please, you can have it"...then I go sit down and ignore her. Sometimes she tells me...other times she throws a fit.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Because they can, and they are trying to show that they can control things. I let my son make choices and he has clamed down a bit. Like do you want a red or blue cup, apple or grape for a snack, chicken or fish sticks?
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 12:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• when they are about four to five months old they realize that adults will jump to their commands of cries and pointing. if you continue to do this for them they will continue with their tantrum behavior and you're teaching them that whining will get them what they want.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• They have discovered that they can influence their world, so they are busy influencing. If you don't play along, then they'll stop.

Answer by Bmat at 8:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Okay good. I only tried it once to make sure I wasn't neglecting her "needs" or something. Realized nothing made her happy, so now she throws it, it goes in the fridge.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks she's testing me.
    thelowlander

Comment by thelowlander (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think mine is nuts when he does that and I close the fridge and walk away as he throws a tantrum.
    Ibis_Siok

Answer by Ibis_Siok at 8:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2010