My 7month old son since birth has not slept through the night. We are going on our 2 week of barely any sleep at all. HELP!!!

I am a full time working mother 4 months pregnant and all I want is for him to sleep 5 consectutive hours

karenc.1228

Asked by karenc.1228 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yikes this is a toughie. There might not be a way.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• babies typically don't sleep through the night until they are at least 18 months on average...my daughter will be 2 next week and still has periods where she wakes up. Feed him more closer to bedtime...if you're not already (and I might get bashed for this but don't care)...let him sleep with you. My daughter has slept with us and I dont lose sleep...it might sound selfish and lazy, blah, blah, blah, but it just depends on how bad you want sleep. With 7 months old, you're not going to get much.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We cosleep with a sidecar crib for additional room so despite night wakings I get considerably more sleep than many who don't.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• are you breastfeeding? if you are bring your baby to bed with you. you will feel very well rested!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch. Do your best to adapt. Try going to sleep to coincide with his even if that is earlier. Sometimes "putting" babies to sleep instead of working with their natural patterns can backfire.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I will get bashed, but I think it's crazy when they say it's normal to keep getting up at night. Especially 2 years old. Ask your pediatrician. They should be able to go a whole night without eating by this age. I have 3 kids and I might have been lucky but none of them got up past 2 months.unless they were sick or teething. I'm not sure what you do when he wakes up, but I would read a few books on what to do when they wake up at night. Get some good advice from your pediatrician. If you are against the CIO method maybe you can ferberize. Some people are against that, but a healthier rested mommy is better for the child in the long run.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• @mommom2000....if you are referring to me with a 2 year old that wakes up...Im fine with it. Like I said she sleeps with us and we get plenty of sleep. She wakes up every now and then but so what....And no I don't believe in CIO or ferber and I don't feel I need to ask my pedi anything...she's a perfectly happy healthy baby but thanks for your opinion :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have 4 children and so far none of mine slept through the entire night until around 18months. My 4th boy is only 3months so we will see with him. But with my 4th baby i also dont run to get him right away every time he cries...if he has eaten, been changed and is fine then i let him cry a little to see if he stops. I only get him up if he doest stop crying on and off for 15min or so.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• callie- I wasn't telling you to ask your pediatrician anything. I was referring to the op. She sounds like she could use advice. I just think it could be discouraging when people say this is normal for that long. It doesn't have to be normal.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It doesn't have to be normal...but sometimes it is...MOST babies don't sleep through the night that young. You got lucky I guess....My dd slept better when she was 2 months old than when she was 8 months old....everyone is different. and letting a baby scream herself to sleep not only can be dangerous, but also doesn't always work for ALL babies.

I thought you were referring to me b/c OP's baby is only 7 months.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2010