What reaction do you want from your friend?

When a friend tells you her spouse cheated, what does she want me to do?
Listen, give advice, kick his hieney, ? How can I help? Just want to make sure I didn't let her down as a friend.

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 8:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• the best thing you can do is just listen... if she decides to leave support her, if she decides to stay support her, etc. if you voice an opinion and she disagrees with you now or later, this could cause big problems in your friendship, even if it's just that she's uncomfortable knowing how you feel.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Honey, that depends on the person. Some women want you to just listen and be there, some other may want you to tell them how big of an asshole their husband is etc.. But you seem really concerned so I'm sure you're a good friend. Don't worry, just be there any way you can.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i would give her support and don't say anything bad about him (don't say anything nice either). i would give her a shoulder to cry on
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i would say well, that sucks. i support most any of your decisions but i wouldn't talk to any other friends about it, probably just my hubby and tell him what i think of that man so it doesn't get back to her if she chooses to stay with him
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Listen
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 8:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Most want you to say how sorry you are for her. I've seen women turn on another if the other calls him names for cheating on her. I guess those just want pity,not responses.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• She is in so much pain right now, just be there to listen and give a great big shoulder for her
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• tell her you are there for her whatever she needs and give her a shoulder to cry on, do whatever you would want her to do for you!
    sha-sha138

Answer by sha-sha138 at 3:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Be there for her, Help her through it... Listen...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2010