Annoyed... what to do?

I am really annoyed. My son is involved with Speech Therapy through Early Intervention. We had all his testing updated, and he qualifies for more services. He is about to transition from EI to the school district. We had to switch coordinators in June, because the one before did nothing to help us. As a result, we are behind with the tranitioning process. He just has the tesing updated this month. They are pushing us to send him to a full day program. He is three, and we feel a part time program is enough to start. We spoke with the school district and they said that the teachers won't be back until the 23rd, so the IEP can't be done yet. School is supposed to start on the 30th. They think that the testing that was done shows what my son can do, which it doesn't. The testing was very unprofessional, and no accomodations were done for his attention and speech. We are so fed up. What do do?

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hold off on his entering school until you get the IEP you agree with. I also believe that an all day program is too much for a 3 yr old

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would send him, but only part time if that's what you feel comfortable with. The begining of every school year is really crazy and there's lots of testing being done all over the place. Let him go and get comfortable with the new school and soon they will do new tests and the IEP and then they can focus on what he really needs.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• What state are you in momma?
    1. It doesn't matter what the testing says. They need to put YOUR input into the IEP. And as the parent, you are in control.
    2. If you don't want all day, don't take all day. They can not force you into all day.
    3. You can request a new IEP at anytime and they have to comply. If you decide to go ahead with the IEP, you can always request a new one in a few weeks or months
    4. Learn these words. "Maybe we need to take this to due process".

I, personally, do not like having to have an IEP before the teachers no what my kid can do. I hate having someone who does not know my kid write the IEP. And, as a teacher, it is hard to write an IEP on a child I do not know. It is also harder to test the child because you don't know if you can push the kid harder or not.

Is he up for a re eval at all, or just the IEP?

Check out www.wrightslaw.com. It can help you navigate this process.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Or I can see how I can help you thru it. You can message me if you wish.
    layh41407

• big hugs hang in there
    bzyblondmomof5

Answer by bzyblondmomof5 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Thank you all for your responses. This has become the most messed up experience. I also don't like that the coordinator and the ED from the School District are having discussion, and then calling us. Shouldn't the school district be working with us now? We registered him there. I agree about the IEP being hard to write before you know a child. It just seems like that's the way things are done. They can't be placed in the special program without it, so its written before they work with the child. Also, I feel like they already feel he doesn't belong in the part-time program, and will look for a way to move him out before they give him a chance to try. If only he was talking more... I think that is playing a huge part in this. Also, that testing showed him needing PT...lol.. yeah.. my kid needs PT.. he can push the playskool picnic table over to the gate to the kitchen, climb over the gate, and get a cookie..lol
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Honestly, the PT could be for other issues. As I am not a Physical Therapist, I do not remember the word for it, but it could be this. It has something to do with the core muscles.
    They can not move him out without your permission. If they try , seriously threaten to take them to due process.
    My son didn't talk much until he was in with neuro typical children. does your school provide an opportunity to socialize with same aged peers in this capacity?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Also, there is a good book for parents call "From Emotions to Advocacy" This is what I used before I became a Special Education teacher myself. It really does help guide you through what you need to know. Special Ed classes were pretty easy after all the years I had been through it already.
    Here is a link

http://www.wrightslaw.com/bks/feta2/feta2.htm
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010