anyone travel a 4 hour drive with a dog?

we are moving wednesday and my dog has never been in a car that long. does anyone have any tips

bzyblondmomof5

Asked by bzyblondmomof5 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Pets

• Try not to feed too much before the trip. Do you know if your pet gets car sick at all? I have a pet carrier policy in my vehicle, safer for the pet and safer for me. My dog's small and he likes to try to get by my feet. Make sure plenty of ventilation around the pet carrier. Put something soft to lay on in there and a rawhide or favorite toy to chew on. Make sure to give water to you pet. Take a rest stop when you need, and walk your pet then. I know rest areas in my area have a designated pet walking area. Make certain to have tags on your pet and a leash when you let him/her out of the vehicle. I myself use a harness on my dog so I know he's more secure then a collar so I have something to grab onto when I let him out of the car. I think the main thing is give your dog potty time before you leave. 4 hours really isn't that long a time. Do you work? If so, try to keep the potty schedule u normally do. Hope this helps.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Just make enough stops, where he can get out, stretch his legs and bring a bowl that you can pour water into when you stop, so he can drink.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 9:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• frequent rest stops, favorite chew toy and some bottled water and a dish for drinking.. Really no different driving with pets as it is with children. Our 120 pound dog went with us everywhere and it was a pain but doable LOL...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• LoL, yeah I've done it a few times. My DH and I are from Michigan, but spent 2 years living in Louisiana (DD was actually born in New Orleans). During those 2 years, our pitt/lab mix (a 65lb. dog!) went back and forth with us a few times. What you can do for the dog really depends on how much room it's going to have; Harley had room to curl up on the back seat or stretch out on the floor. I also had a dish of water and a little food lying out (but don't be surprised if the dog won't eat or drink in the car). Just let him get out and stretch his legs every so often, and yours should do fine.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• thanks!!!! i will have to see if her kennel will fit. she is rather large. i have to get her tags off her old collar i didnt even think about that...
    bzyblondmomof5

Comment by bzyblondmomof5 (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• You might try a few short trips before the long one! Good luck.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 9:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• You could get a seditive from the vet.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have a service dog and you would think he would be okay with car rides, but he hates car rides. When I had to take him to an appointment 90 miles each way, my vet gave me a tranquilizer tablet that I fed him an hour before I had to go. I also made sure that when I stopped for potty breaks, I had a good leash and he could not get spooked and try and run off. He is a great dog around the house and in the yard. I have no need to drive, unless I am going to a doctors appointment. He is 'on duty' at night when I am sleeping. My auto insurance also has a policy requirement that my dog has to be restrained in the car either with a leash hooked to a seat belt or in a carrier. Good luck. Call your vet and see what he/she can offer.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 9:24 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• YES- i have made Many 4 hour trips but, the Real Kicker was when i had to drive from Houston, TX to Raleigh, NC with my Chi/Yorkie mix! LOL! On top of that, Following my husband- I was So Nervous! She did really good though- my vet gave us some valium & she was in her bag- We stopped Alot too! Good Luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We've done 17-25 hour car trips with our 2 dogs (95lb Doberman and 30lb Beagle/Basset) many times (starting as young as 4 month old)... just make sure to stop every few hours and let them go to the bathroom, stretch their legs, eat/drink... we always used car harnesses on them too so that they are safe and stay in one place. They just sleep most of the time we're in the car.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:37 AM on Aug. 17, 2010