Do I need to switch birth control since I am not breastfeeding anymore

My doc gave me a certain kind of birth control since I was breastfeeding. Prob non hormonal. Now that I am not breastfeeding do I need to get a different kind of birth control?

lovinmyjace

Asked by lovinmyjace at 3:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• There is no such thing as non hormonal.....there is LOW dose horomone....which is fine for breastfeeding mothers.....but they are also ok for anyone for birth control...but I would ask my Dr. better safe than pregnant ;)
    Anonymous

• you might consider switching because the stuff the Dr. gave you is probably low dose and you might need a higher dose now to be more control efficient.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 3:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i have a non hormone BC.

KristaRene

• I asked the Dr for one and she told me that they all have a certain amount of hormone in them, which is why I dont take them.....they make me sick.
    Anonymous

• i have one with no hormone at all. its called an IUD. it uses copper. i chose it for the reason that putting hormone in your body isn't very good for you.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 4:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• You're probably on "the mini-pill". It's Micronor. It's a progesterone only pill. I took it while breastfeeding, and when I stopped, I switched to Yaz. It's more effective, supposedly, than the mini-pill. I think that this is something you should discuss with your doctor. I just called & spoke to my ob/gyn's nurse.... She had the doctor call in the prescription for me. I agree with the first poster--- "better safe than pregnant!" lol
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 4:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I can't say that it would happen to everyone but I can tell you that when I stopped breastfeeding while on a progesterone only pill I started bleeding. I don't mean like a normal period that wouldn't stop bleeding. I mean it looked like someone dumped a bucket of blood down my jeans, ended up in the ER bleeding. It wasn't painful but it was scary. The doctor told me that it was caused by the pill that I was on and that it was for breastfeeding mothers only and I should have switched as soon as I stopped breastfeeding. I couldn't tell you the name of the pill but I do know that it was a progesterone pill only. I don't know if that is a common reaction or if it was just me but I would recommend talking to your doctor as soon as possible just in case.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2008