Do any of you get annoyed when your child comes home from school upset because of teachers/kids?

My child came home today from his first day at school and tells me that none of the kids would let him have a turn on the swings. It was 100 degrees outside today and he burns easily too and yet the teachers took them out in the heat. He tried telling the teacher that he wanted to swing and she ignored it and told him to go back and play. His playground has VERY limited equipment. Then when his daddy visited him at school today for lunch, his dad asked him to throw away his trash when he was done eating and my son got chewed out by this woman who was "monitoring" (more like talking on her cell phone) becuase everyone was supposed to wait on her lazy butt to say when and all the kids were supposed to do it together. We didn't know any of those "rules" and they have made my son very upset on his first day. They mixed up his lunch and made him order school lunch even though he had a lunchbox and got bent out of shape over that 2!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in

• 1) How old is your son?
    2) WHAT school allows parents to come and have lunch with their kids? That is a huge NO NO
    3) When is Back to School Night? That is usually when all these "rules" are shared.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• What school is this?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Its the first day- a little crazy for everyone, I would give it some time before getting too upset. Remember lifes not always going to go perfect, sometimes ya just gotta go with the flow!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Maureen- all schools should allow parents in at ANY time, I would be a little worried if they didn't
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Where my son goes to school they allow parents to come at lunch, but the parent and the kid both need to eat/buy the school lunch in this instance. They were having parents bring in all sorts of goodies and it was getting outrageous.

It's hot out, yes, but kids need fresh air and room to run around. Put sunblock on your child before he goes to school.
    yes, your child wanted on the swing, but so did other kids. Just because your child wanted on the swing doesn't mean the teacher needs to kick another child off. How would you feel if your child came home and said "The teacher made me get off the swing because little Johnny wanted to get on." Chances are, that would bother you too.

Part of going to school is to learn how to interact with others. The playground is one of those places.
    As for not knowing the rules, as for a handbook if you do not have one. They usually are willing to give them out.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes, your statements are sooo familiar to my ears! I have teenage boys, but all through elementary school I heard the same complaints. My kids got bullied too, and it amazed me how the teachers never saw anything. The lunch aides were very strict about getting out of your seat and never acted like they wanted to be there-always crabby and not the least bit friendly or kind. High school is better. When anyone tries to bully your kids, the discipline is good and there aren't repeat incidences, but I still find the teachers never see anything. Most of the incidents seem to happen during gym or at lunch time. Believe it or not, the kids are resilient and learn the ropes and get better at not letting the little things ruin their day as they get older. Hang in there!
    Evergreen12

Answer by Evergreen12 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Having parents "dropping in" is very disruptive to the day. Kids will want to listen to Mom and Dad and they may not always know the rules - as in the OP case. Especially younger kids who have a hard time going to school in the 1st place, having Mom and Dad show up in the middle of the day, is not helpful. It is just going to cause and embarrassing meltdown when they have to leave.

It is just like work for you. It is disruptive to you and others in the office when you have Little Jimmy running down the hall screaming "Mommy Mommy Mommy".

School is not the place for Mom and Dad. We have already been there and done that.
    My kids both go to private school.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• that sucks hopefully next week it will be better
    frankye

Answer by frankye at 12:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Wow, I cannot believe that someone actually thinks a school should not have an open door policy. Our school welcomes parents (as long as they check/sign in at the office and get a badge) and I would be absolutely disturbed if they did not. I can go eat lunch or volunteer whenever I want! It do not disrupt my child's day by going to have lunch with him or by volunteering in his class, that is just absurd!
    As far as not sharing the swings that is a pretty normal thing that kids have to learn to deal with in life. Talk with him about communicating with other kids but of course if it becomes a big issue than speak with the teacher. It sounds like first day was off to a rough start, but just communicate with the teacher and principal about things and it will be OK.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am a cafe attend-dont due cells or sit on my butt-but the teachers are supposed to explain that we have rules that we will be going over and she/he will have the rules also to go over and one of them not getting up without permission and not throwing away trash ahead of time. As for the playground maybe your child missunderstood something with the teacher-or teacher missunderstood something your child said to them. I never get upset at first until I find out from the teacher what is going on. A lot of times it is a missunderstanding or something silly IMO.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 10:35 AM on Aug. 17, 2010