is my serum iron level too high?

I got my results back and my serum level of iron is 106, which sounds a bit high to me,and my hemoglobin was 13.8

I usually take flintstone complete through out my period , and a few times during the month,because its usually heavy. and birth control doesn't agree with me to lighten it.

Is 106 too high? should I continue to take the vitamins during my period at least?
i'm worried that im going to over-do the iron
somehow, but I became anemic twice in the past 2 years since having my last baby and I don't want that to happen again either

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Health

• I am a former medical lab technologist. A hemaglobin of 13.8 is in the normal range and is the most common way of determining if someone had adequate iron (rather than iron level). Too much iron can make some people constipated. What you are doing seems to be working.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Whats the range listed on the lab results? That will tell you if its high or not. Generally speaking... normal iron levels are about 30-126, but different tests may have slightly different normal ranges. You lab result sheet should list their normal range.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• And yes... your hemoglobin is good. :) I wish my iron was high. I can't get in the normal range. :P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2010