WHAT TO DO IM SCARED OF MY ON STREET

I'm not working at this time just going to school but i never thought i will be scared to sleep in my on bed at night and to sit on my porch i'm scared off all the shootings killings going on tell on them and be scared that they might come after me and my fam and the cops do nothing any way

lilmama29113

Asked by lilmama29113 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Can you move?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• find somewhere else to move sweetie. you should NOT be scared to sleep in your own bed at night.
    Good Luck.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• not at this time
    lilmama29113

Comment by lilmama29113 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would be scared too, if you can't move I don't know what to say. So sorry you have to live like this, stay safe:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We had some trouble makers across the street. They were a bad lot, guns, drugs, etc. Before they got evicted, I would make my children sleep in the bedrooms in the back of the house, not in the ones by the street. I would see if you could move. No place is going to be 100% safe, but there are places more safe then others. Even on a tight budget I would find someplace that is safe.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 9:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Install flood lighting in the front and back of your house, get yourself a guard dog (like a German Shepherd) and/or a gun and learn how to safely store it and use it if necessary!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• we had that problem back in az, we made friends with the cops real fast. you'd be surprised how fast they respond when they know theres fresh made cookies or banana bread with fresh hot coffee. thats their weakness. but other than that, the best thing to do is move.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I forgot about lighting. I have two street lamps in my yard that I pay for. My house it lit up like a local mall! I have not had any problems since those lights went up. I also have two street lights on the poles by the street. So four lights total. This place glows!  I am also have a marksman gun award from my military days.  I also have a house alarm system, but for medical insurance not theft.  My service dog is a 'tiny' 84 lbs.  He will take out anyone who comes near me.  I live in an older neighborhood that is mostly retired people. 

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 9:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree with LoriKeet. Do whatever you can to make your home feel more safe to you and your family. Even though it doesn't seem like much, if you do anything to improve your property like suggested you might feel a little more in control of your house. Good luck!

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• try to do what you can to stay safe while you live there until you can find a place to move to.

If you notice suspicious behavior around your house, call the police.. the more the police come out, the more it should calm down. (obviously don't call them over random, the kid has his hat on backwards type of BS, but for things like, there are a group of kids out at 2 am, dressed in dark clothing, looking into windows type of things).

if you can install as much security features as you can, flood lights, alarms (you can by a cheap alarm that just beeps when someone enters, it may not be top of the line, but it may scare them, and allow you time to phone the police).
    you can call a security team over to assess what it would cost to install one, and sometimes they give away free signs to put in your front yard (you may not have the system, but others don't know that).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2010