How old should a my son be to take away the bottle?

My son is 16 months old. He still has the bottle and I don`t know when to give him the sippy cup. Do you think hes old enough to take away the bottle and only have the sippy cup?

kris810

Asked by kris810 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He should have already been introduced to the sippy....my dd had one at about 9 months old.....I took the bottle away at 12 months. YES....he is old enough for no bottle and all sippy....
    Anonymous

• yes he is. I took bottle away at 12 months on the dot and put her on sippy. She took right to it. If he struggles with the plastic lids try the silicone nipples.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 3:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I always heard 12 months is when they should be weaned off the bottle totally.
    Anonymous

• my ds never got regular milk in a bottle. when the switch from formula to milk was made, he got a sippy cup. the first couple of nights were a little rough but after that there were no problems. he was 12 months.
    krazymami028

Answer by krazymami028 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• He drinks out of a sippy cup, it`s just I didn`t know if he should be totally off the bottle yet.
    kris810

Answer by kris810 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Yes, of course he is old enough to take away the bottle.

my daughter doesnt take the bottle anymore since she is 11months old. she also doesnt like a sippy cup.. shes drinking with a straw or just normal from a cup.

But, when she is sick or just doesnt feel good at all then she takes the bottle. Barely happens though.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• some people told me not to give him the sippy cup cause it will ruin his teeth. And they told me not to give it to him anymore. Thats why I`m asking
    kris810

Answer by kris810 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i think by there first bday. my daughter was off the bottle at 11 months...
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I think most people will tell you the first birthday... WE were on sippy cups all day at a year but still had abottle befor ebed until age 2. At 2 the "Baba Fairies" came and took all the bottles away and all we had were big girl cups, the fairies even brought some fancy princess cups whent ehy took the bottles away. ☺ I know people say 2 is tooold but my girls had a lot of trauma at that ppoint in their lives so I let it ride a little longer then I would've if we were living normal lives. I 'd say 18 months is the absolute max for a regular kid to have it taken away.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i believe that at the age of 12 months children should be done with the bottle and onto a sippy cup
    Angel713

Answer by Angel713 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2008