Is 1200mg of fish oil pills too much for my baby? i am 11 weeks preg.

I just came from getting my sonogram today and the nurse told me that i should make sure that i was getting omega3 fatty acid and to buy fish oil pills. i informed her that i was already taking prenatal vitamins but that they did not have omega3 in them, anyway i came home and saw some fish oil pills that i bought before becoming pregnant and they are 1200mg. I am wondering is that too much for my baby? help please....

amikata

Asked by amikata at 9:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You better ask your OB. I believe the ones I took were only 250 mg
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• the baby takes only what it needs and the rest filters through your body. just because you take a vitamin it doesn't mean the whole thing goes to the baby
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• YOu need to take the Prenatals that do have Omega 3 and not anything else...too much of anything isn't good. You can get a prescription for prenatals.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Babies don't take what they need and everything else filters out. Mega doses of vitamins are like drugs and can be toxic. I suggest doing some more research.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I took 2000 mg of fish oil a day when I was pregnant. Omega 3 deficiency is America's top 6th killer.

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/hadia_mubarak/2010/07/no_religious_basis_for_911.html

Most sources say to get at least 200 mg a day, but many of us are deficient and it is extremely hard to overdose on Omega-3's. You do need to be careful of your source though. Cod liver oil is very high in Vitamin A which can be toxic if too much is taken. So research you brand and talk to your care provider to decide on the daily intake you need.

1200 mg really isn't that much though and should be fine.

jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Most important -- talk to your doctor first. Taking things without clearing it with your doctor first - even the dosage amount - is not usually a good idea.
    JudesMomma

Answer by JudesMomma at 8:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010