3yrs will be 4 in dec preschool?

ive leaned more towards no onto preschool but idk?what are other moms opinoions to go or not and reasons...to me sleeping and playing they can do that at home and its free?

photogrypher

Asked by photogrypher at 9:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I chose not to send my son to K last year - his bday is 1 day before the cut-off and he just wasn't ready to go to school all day. I sent him to Pre-K instead. He learned how to interact with classmates, listen to a teacher, wait his turn, follow directions, how to cut, color, glue, write his name (all things we do at home, too), and most of all, he learned how to be away from me for a couple of hours. I didn't make the decision to send him to preschool lightly, but I am glad I sent him for a year because now he is ready to go to all-day K, be away from me, and he will succeed. He is going into K already knowing how to read, too.

You can do many things at the library, too. Storytime is a great way to introduce your little one to sitting in a group of peers and listening to another adult.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I only sent each of mine to one year of pre school. I believe they need a year to learn to sit and listen, but two years will make them bored in Kindergaren. Boredom = Trouble
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Depends, do you do some academic things with them? I used to teach preschool for years through college and I would like to send my children when they are 3, if we can afford it. Yes they can sleep and play at home, but naps in the afternoon, I will at least send them in the AM. They learn more socialization and how to be a friend than at home, even if they have siblings. Preschools typically start the day with circle time, then structured play time, a time for an art activity, another structured play time, a story time, etc. I worked in great centers where your lesson plans had to be done ahead of time, where each week had a topic that went along with a theme of the month. And each day had it's lessons, in addition to learning a letter of the week and discussing the calendar and weather daily. I can't wait till my 2 yr old is 3 to start doing these things, even if he goes to a preschool.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Our son will be 4 in December, too. We chose to keep him home this year in lieu of preschool because he tested in the 5-7 year old range and there's no doubt he'll be bored in preschool for 3 hours per day 3 days per week. I will do Kindergarten curriculum with him, this year. He is part of our church group for children ages 3-5 and he has tons of friends in the neighborhood. I'm trying to find a karate or tap class he can take in the fall, too. It will probably be a fight but we're hoping he can start Kindergarten next year and will turn 5 during the school year but his birthday is 15 days past the cut off so who knows.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 11:24 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i didn't have to pay, i sent mine to preschool and they loved it. it helps break the kids out of their shells. for the shy kids i highly recommend it. it also helps prepare you and the kids for school. i had no problem with the kids first day of kindergarden. they knew how to act towards the teacher and other kids. my girls were both three when they went. my middle one passed the trst for kindergarden two months into the school year, she had just turned four.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 1:54 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Are you talking about a traditional preschool where it is only about 2 and a half hours a day and only 2-3 days per week no nap etc. or Daycare? HUGE difference!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:17 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• idk anything about preschool..i know i went when i was little so idk to where preschools are i just want her to go to a good school when that time comes .....other than that i know they nap and play ive heard.idk if it costs and etc.what the hours are i know nothing
    photogrypher

Comment by photogrypher (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My son's preschool, there is no nap. That is daycare! He learns socialization, numbers, letters, colors, taking turns, sharing, how to write and spell his name, write all his letters, counting by 10's, planets, months, days, fieldtrips, community tours, etc.

He has been going 3 years starting this month. He is the pre-k program at his preschool. Here for Kindergarten you need to know all these things or your child is considered behind in school and in danger of failing kindergarten. He started at 2.5 y years old for only 2 days/week 9-11.30. Mostly socialization. They did start the basics and prepared him for 3&4 year old class in learning to spell/write his name. Pre-k here is 155.00/month M-F, 9-12.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Kindergarten is like first grade. There are so many things that kids are expected to know before they begin kindergarten. Numbers, letters, colors, shapes, dressing themselves, socialization, etc.
    Most states have programs for preschoolers that are not enrolled in nursery or preschool because those that have not been to preschool often start out at a disadvantage.
    Preschool only lasts about three hours 2-3 or days a week. It does not include lunch or nap usually. This is activity filled time.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The preK in my area is part of our school system. They go all day and you have to be 4 by Aug 31st. Unfortunately my daughter wont be 4 until November so she can not get into preK this year. She will go next year. My son will probably also be starting preK next year as he turns 4 one week after the cut off. They school will test his readyness as his bday is after the cut off but if he is considered properly mature a week wont make a difference so he will also start. If they decide he is not mature enough even if it is only a week until he is 4 he will have to wait another year.

Everything that enrolls kids under 4 is considered a daycare no matter how much they teach the kids. Those also cost money. The preK does not cost anything except for supplies but that is only $10/kid.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 5:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2010