Serious Questions for Pagans from a Curious Christian

i hear a lot about the Pagan Goddess, Mother Earth, Gaia, etc, but never about the Pagan idea of God. how do you see the male side of things? what is the male God's role? are the God & Goddess equal? why is there so much more talk about the Goddess?

i know not every Pagan believes the same thing, so just explain it how you see it.

also, you wont get any debate or grief from me...i have no agenda. ive just been thinking about this for a while and figured i should just ask the experts :)

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 9:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• in my tradition, Earth is a she - we all came from Her and we feed from her just like babies... She loves and nurtures us. This is the female God energy... the male God energy is that of protector. All things come from Love which is the female aspect and the result of Love when moved through Truth is Peace, which is the male energy. (These are the ideals obviously.) Both energies are needed for life, both are important. I think women in particular are drawn to Goddess focused religions because the male-centered religions have excluded and degraded them. I personally feel a Goddess focused religion is as unbalanced as male God focused, however, the overall balance is such that the male God religions have dictated society for a looong time, so the Goddess focus still brings balance... Also, to me Female as main Creator makes alot more sense when looking at all of Creation. But the male is still necessary...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Most pagan traditions are Earth/Goddess centered so the female aspect of the divine is the principle aspect. Most see the God just as a consort to the Goddess or the Greenman. I personally see them as equal and use both aspects equally in my rituals. I see them as both being aspects of one divine (unitarian thinking).
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 10:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• For me personally, I acknowledge both and think they are perfectly equal. At the moment, however, I'm only really working with the Goddess aspect of divinity because I haven't found a male deity that seems right for me, but I am looking and working with various ones.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• there are some really great pagan mom groups here that welcome the curious and do not push anything on you. do a group search and look around. good question i will check back :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Paganism is an umbrella term that covers alot of traditions. LIke Christianity is a cover for different faiths ie: baptist, catholic etc. Some pagans are female centered and some arent. You hear more about those that are. As the writer above some see both male and female as equal aspects of there idea of the divine.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I honor the Goddess and God with the Goddess being principle and God being her consort...
    Tho I follow a balance in how I see things, the Goddess is whom I honor more...(whom I believe carries the higher power)
    As for names for them... or calling them... both the Goddess and God (her consort) have many different names
    to many different ppl and cultures, but they are all of the same... (I hope you understand)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i truly think powers above us really have no gender, it's just something we do to personalize with them. goddess doesn't necessarily mean vagina and god mean penis in my mind. it's all based on what they do.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think my beliefs are different from most others. But I believe in a Great God & Goddess and a great number of "Lesser" Gods & Goddesses. The Great God & Goddess are equal in importance, as they worked together to create the lesser Gods and begin the creation process. The Lesser Gods & Goddesses all have their own roles in creation, life & nature to "rule" over. So depending on who you need I guess one could be more important to you than another at that time, but generally, none are more important than any others.

However, I think most WOMEN, will have a stronger connection to a Goddess than they do a God. Simply because of the motherhood connection. For me, I feel I have a greater connection to the Great Goddess, but I do make time for the Great God and greet him each morning.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• how do you see the male side of things

Go to fullsize image

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Good question. I am curious about those things as well.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010