Do you think you are a good mom?

What do you think makes a mom a good mom? For me, I take pride on being a good mom. I know I'm a good mom because I get more mad at people hurting my kids' than hurting myself. My kids KNOW they are loved and that I will do whatever necessary to protect them. I don't allow anyone to walk over my kids. If you don't respect your kids, they won't repect themselves. I send a message loud and clear to my kids that THEY are the most important thing in my life. A good mom lets her child eat the last piece of pizza even though she may want it. A good mom works overtime to afford child's braces or ballet class. A good mom would rather on any given day be at the school musical than out partying, drinking, or other socializing. A good mom doesn't blow off her child's never-ending questions. A good mom's favorite present on Christmas morning is the delight in her child's eyes. A good mom MAKES time for her child.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 9:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• i agree with everything you said! sometimes i still like to go out & drink & socialize though.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I do think I'm a good Mom. For my part, we're focused on socializing our kids so they don't act like zombies or mutes in front of other kids or adults. We provide experiences locally and abroad and of course support their academics and sports. We treat them with respect and love them. They know it. My kids are first most of the time. That said, I make time for myself too because I believe being a good parent means being a happy parent. I am no martyr.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I like to think of myself as a good mom, because I try my hardest to be one. I'm not perfect, but I try to use my mistakes as learning experiences.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I know I'm a good mom.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think I'm a great mom and would do anything for my son, but at the sam time I don't treat him like he's the king of the world. He knows that life is hard and that it's not fair and things aren't always going to go the way he wants. He also know that nobody loves him more than I do!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Yes, I know that I am a good mom. I can see it in my kids.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think I am a good Mom. My children think I smother too much. I have paid for their college, their first car and their first home. They should not need to move home when they are 40 years old. I worked several jobs to pay for those expensive ballet and soccer lessons. They did not have everything they wanted, but they had some, but they always had what they needed. We went on vacations, had pets, they went to camp. They really had a lot of the things I never had a child, so I made them prepared for a world that I would not be around forever. Most people think that they should repay the things I did for them by taking care of me when I am old. That is not their job, it is mine.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 10:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I'm a wonderful mom

lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I agree with all that you said, but I would like to add that a good mom teaches her kids to handle everything that life throws at them with optimism and faith. I teach my children that sometime bad things happen, but that doesn't mean that life has to stop. I won't always be there for them. But as a good mother, I know they will know how to take care of themselves if anything happens to me. They will know how to deal with bad things and accept the good things gracefully. A good mom teaches her kids that how to advocate for themselves, as well as when it is the right time to do so. A good mom teaches their child that it is ok to feel anger and hurt but that it's what they DO with those feeling that are either ok or not ok. A good mom teaches their child that life does not always give them what they want, but that can be ok too.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I am a good mom. My daughter is only 6 but she's an extraordinary little person. She's caring, loving, sweet and kind. She cares about everyone around her. She willingly does volunteer work in a homeless shelter with me on weekends. She's been doing it for 1 year now and she loves lelping people.

She is a happy child. She's bright and sharp. Even at the age of 6, she knows she can make her own choices on many subject because I know she makes the right choices most of the time.

She is respectful and polite, she knows when she can be silly and when she needs to be serious. She loves me very much and I would die in a minute for her.

My 6-month-old baby is still too young to be characterised as "caring and polite" but she sure is a happy baby! And she's going to be raised like her sister so I guess she's going to be as awesome!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 10:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010