anyone allergic to wheat/gluten?

What are the most obvious symptoms for you and what do you eat?

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 9:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have celiac disease, which is more than just a gluten "allergy", but my main symptoms have been serious stomach issues, nausea, headaches, pain, vitamin deficiency leading to extreme fatigue, etc. Not fun.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don' t know, I may be, my tests for Celiacs disease came back "neg" but whatever, i am still symptomatic...I don't know what you mean by what do you eat??

So um...my diet up until *today* was crap, fast food litterally every night. so we will see if my strict diet change will help or not...my symptoms are very similar to chrons and IBS, no one can figure out what is wrong with me.

Now I have started to eat much SMALLER portions, chicken most nights, beef once or twice a week now, salads for lunch, veggie and fruit with lunch and dinner. and a small snack at night, small like 1 peice of melba toast, or a fruit if i dont have a fruit for lunch or dinner.

Good luck.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My children are. My grandpa is, most likely got it from him LOL I hope they grow out of it. But the 10 month old had always been broken out in ezcema. It took more eliminating and reintroducing things than I can explain. Just a couple months ago I took both off wheat (my 2 yr old also has ezcema). Then I gave the baby a piece of wheat toast one day and within minutes he was hived up and itching where ever he had touched his body, just from touching the toast. So glutten free for a few weeks now. Both of their ezcema is cleared up much better. Of course when they are around environmental factors. But anyways..... My grandpa had horrible digestion problems. His was more internal. I have no clue how the baby felt inside, but sure he was miserable. I feed them pasta made from veggies or rice. I make their "bread" type things with glutten free flours. I shop at the health food store in town and get it all there.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Okay, thanks you guys.
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have a "friend" with celiacs, and also our oldest nephew can't have wheat/gluten (among other things). Symptoms for the "friend" were having to run to the bathroom within half an hour of eating a meal that contained bread/pasta, horrible stomach cramps, she was tested for so many things and it took so long for her diagnosis it started messing with other systems/organs/etc. Nephew had a lot of the same stuff (his dx is only "intolerant", no official disease or anything). They both have to eat gluten-free breads/buns/pastas/crackers/cookies/cereal. "Friend" is at risk of developing intestinal cancer by "cheating" on the diet, nephew gets god-awful stomach cramps and is glued to the toilet for no less than 4 hours if he eats anything with gluten.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My daughter is. She gets really foul smelling, pale looking, weird diarrhea, she gets super bloated, a weird rash all over her body, wont gain weight and there is a behavioral change as well. She has been off gluten since February of this year and within two weeks of being gluten free there was a HUGE change in her behavior as well as her poop, stomach EVERYTHING. It was amazing to see the difference :).
    Butterflycraze2

Answer by Butterflycraze2 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I had chronic ovarian cysts that went away completely after I went gluten free. I write a gluten free recipe blog

Daniellecooks.wordpress.com
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• no
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2010