How can i help him?

my step-son is struggling in school with reading and print. last year he learned cursive and knew how to read only the books with the phonics typing in it. this year he is VERY behind the rest of his class and i cant figure out what i can do to help him want to learn. he just sits there and cries and says he cant do it. any advice??

tabby85

Asked by tabby85 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has he been tested for dyslexia? I would suggest it if not.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 4:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I would contact the school he goes to and see if they provide extra tutoring since he is having difficulties. A lot of schools do. Have you talked to his teacher to see if there are problems during school?
    Anonymous

• how old does he have to be to be tested for dyslexia? i have talked to his teacher and she said that he does the same thing to her but doesn't do it in fornt of the other kids, he waits until recess or lunch to talk to her.
    tabby85

Answer by tabby85 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree w/ what mamapotter said about having him evaluated 4 possible Dyslexia. As far as what age 2 do this, maybe call his dr. & c what he/she recommends.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• ok. i will get this done and thank you so much for all the input.
    tabby85

Answer by tabby85 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Ur welcome hun!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• How old is your son? My 8 year old has trouble in reading and he goes to a reading class that gives him more one on one training (and has for 2 years in school). My best advice would be to make him read- something. Read with him also. It doesn't matter what he reads- anything that HE wants to read.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:34 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• First of all, set up a conference with both your son and his instructor. Try to work things out, if possible. You could also assist your son on his homework. It will do him good. Believe me. I would also highly recommend you checking out this incredible website called Nogginpower2. One thing I learned from Nogginpower2 is that they have a great deal of packets, such as Getting Great Grades and Discipline. By reading these manuals on Nogginpower2, they can aid you in training your seven-year-old to read better and study harder as well. I hope this helps. Thank you and good luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• It waould be good to have him checkd out like the other moms suggested, but i would just read to him. any and every chance you get read together. leapfrog has amazing reading toys out there that you can get for him too.
    vamama20

Answer by vamama20 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008