How does a SAHM go from the home, to school, and then find a job?

I've been a SAHM for 3 years now, and have another 3 years ahead of me, most likely. I could look into school in a year, but not before then. I've started debating about what I'd like to do - I could do mom "gimme" careers - childcare or nursing, but I don't know if I'm really cut out for those. I could do accounting, because I really like dealing with finances, but it's a bit intimidating to think about the career options. I could go to school to be an ASL Interpreter, which was my original career desire since high school, but really, how many jobs are there, and how far would I have to go to find them? How do I conquer any of these options? How do I justify my only emploment experience - a Macy's sales clerk, my one and only job in my 27 years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• speak to a career counseler / student advisor at your school. they will help you. a college degree is equivelant to work experience, and/or a university will most likley over internship which is also equivalent to work experience.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I just went through a very similar dilemma. I ended up just creating my own job. It was just home and office cleaning, but it got my foot in the door and gave me something to put on my resume.

But if you have an accounting degree I bet you could do some freelance work. Try putting an ad up online.
    GOOD LUCK!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I am in transition my self. I have only been a SAHM for 9months though, before that I was a student
    Now I just started my first day back to college today. And I am also looking for part time work. just research your college, how many units you want to do, or how much time you want to spend in class in accordance to your families needs, and then work on getting a job after you have that in place.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• what about going to school online while ur a sahm?
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 10:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Im trying to figure this out right now too! I think you just have to map out your goals and then do it, no excuses or looking back.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• go to school online and get a diploma to open doors for you when you need those doors opened
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I did that...all I got were 2 degrees to hang on my wall! I was over worked and underpaid. A friend introduced me to a home based business and I am working less for more $$.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 10:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• you could get a teaching degree and a degree in spanish or a foreign language that way you can work at a school, or any company who would need someone who also knows another language, that gives you hundreds of options as well as several at home careers such as telemarketing or customer service
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 12:54 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Start taking a class or two as soon as you can because getting your degree will take you longer than you think. I have two friends that used their SAHM time to complete their Masters. It works out well because, 1 they wanted to be off with their baby anyway and 2 financial aid helped compensate for their not working.

I suggest that you stay in the language field. If you are most interested in ASL interpreture, then research it. Otherwise you can look into related specialities: Speech Therapy, Special Ed, Foriegn Language, English As a Second Language.

If you just want any old job you can apply at stores, but if you want a career then you will have to work harder. Paralegal, Court Reporter, Pharmacy or X-ray tech are all jobs that are pretty flexible and ideal for working moms.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• SAHMs have lots of skills that employers value, such as time management, finance, logistics, etc. Don't sell yourself short!

There is a wonderful book called What Color is My Parachute, that may help you find your path; you should be able to find it at your local library.

Take a class every semester at a community college, to help you find your path.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010