Why is my 11 month old not attempting to talk

I have an 11 month old son - he had horrible 14 hour a day colic til he was 5 months old and was very fussy even after that - I am wondering why at 11 months old that he hasn't said his first word - he does babble, not excessively but will babble. he knows what things are when we ask him where things are - he doesn't point but he looks right at what we are talking about - I read to him daily. he is not in daycare and is one on one everyday with someone. what can I do to help him?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All babies are different and I definitely would not get discouraged. He has plenty of time to catch up. I agree with another answer...I have also heard that boys motor skills develop faster and girls verbal skills are more advanced than boys. I guess us women start talking early. As long as he is meeting physical developmental milestones I would not worry. My pedi told me at Jakes 9 mo appt that he would be walking in 6 weeks, well he isnt just yet, and it has been 6 weeks. Us moms tend to worry about the early milestones bc obviously we want our kiddos to be right on target. My pedi also told me Jake should be drinking out of a sippy cup and starting to eat chunkier food...well, guess what...not happening yet. He doesn't even know what to do with a sippy cup and gets choked on chunky peices of food. Let him develop those things naturally, they will come.
    Jakesmom1107

Answer by Jakesmom1107 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Do not force him, do not pressure him with it.

Some kids start to talk earlier, and some later. Dont worry about it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My son is 27m old and he just now in the last couple months started to "talk" . He would say mama and dada and kitty small easy words. Up until now his vocab was like 10 words. Now he is talking so muchbetter. Just give him time he will talk when HE is ready
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 4:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My daughter wasn't speaking at her 12month check-up and I was really concerned. Like your son she knew what things were but didn't say them. Well now she is 18months old and her vocab is huge she says dog, kitty, pretty, door etc. etc. We just had a second baby and her name is Emily and the first day we brought Emily home from the hospital Carol was already calling her by name. Don't worry just keep pointing out what things are and reading to him and I think you will be fine.
    carwells

Answer by carwells at 5:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• yeah I was in that same boat a while back...when my son was around 10 and 11 months his pedia was worried that he wasn't up to speed on speaking. So finally she sent us to a speech therapist, but in the end there was nothing wrong with him, the speech therapist just told us that boys are simply more hands on. Like I'm sure your son plays with blocks and picks things up, and hold on good to stuff.... She told us that with boys they develop hand coordination and walking skills quicker than girls do, and girls simply talk sooner and a lot more than boys do. So I'm sure there isn't anything wrong with him, however if you do feel still unsure of yourself.. I'm sure your pedia would refer you to a wonderful speech therapist. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 5:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• my daughter was on a binky till she was 1 1/2 and that seemed to really slow down her talking to little to nothing but bable, but she started talking more and more after that and even know she's 2 1/2 and doesn't say sentences but she does put words together. they talk when they are ready. keep telling him what things are when you touch or get something and when he is ready he'll take off. but if your concerned talk to your doctor about it and if he's not concerned then i wouldn't worry.
    mamma_lyn

Answer by mamma_lyn at 11:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008