Does grief counseling really work?

a_stewart08

Asked by a_stewart08 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Health

• Yes and no. It doesnt make the pain or hurt go away, that will probably never happen. But it does help you cope with day to day life dealing with that pain. Good luck!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I feel like I did better grieving on my own after the death of my son. I did speak with my midwife a lot though and that helped.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• it helps to have someone to talk to and you don't have to worry about saying the same things, you don't have to worry that they are judging you for "taking too long to heal" or anything like that...
    good for teaching healthy coping skills...
    grief groups are helpful too because you kind of bond with the others in the group, you find things in common that the rest of your family and friends don't really understand
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i hope it works because I know I am not the person to speak to in regards to tragedies. Girlfriends & family members can only help so much but if they've never been thru what you have how can we possibly relate....I can empathize but I don't know how you feel or how fast or slow you should grieve. I sincerely hope grief counseling works for you.
    CommonsWife

Answer by CommonsWife at 10:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Maybe it works for the people who really need it and you would only know if you went.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I will tell you that it does help to talk to some one who has gone through what your dealing with. Really it won't make any of the pain less however it will help with your coping skills. Good luck.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• No counseling works if you don't want it to work. If you're skeptical about it and keep a barrier between you and the process then it's not going to help you. If you walk in there with an open mind then it can help.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Counseling helps some, finding a group to meet with in person, Compassionate Friends, Bereaved Parents USA, are 2 bigger groups is usually very helpful. I have links to these sites for contact information and several others on my links page. And no, the pain never goes away, we just learn how to manage it and our emotions. I have just launched my grief support site, go here and surf around, there is a lot of information. and you can always contact me, I do answer emails. Love and Hugs! Sandy

www.griefbeach.com
    BecomingBigger

Answer by BecomingBigger at 3:07 AM on Aug. 19, 2010