1 year old has diarrhea...could it be from teeth?

I believe my son is getting the "sharp" teeth in. Sorry I don't know the actual name for them...the pointed ones you know. Anyways. He has had diarrhea all day today and did have a little fever for 1 day, a few days ago. My MIL said those sharp teeth are sometimes called "stomach teeth" because it messes up baby's stomach real bad when they are coming in? Has anyon else heard anything like this or experienced it? Any help would be appreciated.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My doc told me that "they" say teething does not cause tummy problems and diaper rash and all that stuff. Then she winked at me and said "but as moms we know better!" LOL My oldest son got diarrhea and diaper rash whenever he got teeth in too. Oh - and a fever. Every time. Just make sure he's not getting dehydrated, keep the butt paste on him, and it should be gone soon. GL mama!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Maybe, my son just had a tooth come in and he had very bad diarrhea
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• It depends on who you ask. My son's DO always told us that teething cannot cause diarrhea.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• yeah i've heard that is a possible side effect of teething
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Teething is the only time my daughter has diarrhea and diaper rash. It's very acid-like and smells much worse than normal so we use butt paste and corn starch... In a few days she is back to normal.

I can't say it's limited to "sharp teeth" as all of my daughters teeth have been the exact same way. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 10:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My 1 year old always gets diarhea when he is cutting a tooth, and it is the only time he gets a diaper rash too, so he is cutting his first molar and like clockwork came the diarhea and diaper rash, you can google it, it is very common.
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My pediatrician tells me all the time... No, there is no connection between diarrhea, fever, diaper rash etc, and teething. And I tell him he's full of crap. My 5mth old son, was constipated, then had diarrhea.. He just got 2 bottom teeth in a couple days ago. So yes, that is all natural. Coat his little bottom well and it will get better soon. Best of luck!
    a_stewart08

Answer by a_stewart08 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Both my boys had diarrhea for about 2 days for each new tooth they got.
    oklahomapoet

Answer by oklahomapoet at 10:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I've never heard of a child getting Diarhea from cutting teeth. But every kid is different.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• teething can have lots of different symptoms w it....... rash, vomiting, diarhea, constipation, fever........just depends on the baby! with my oldest he got his first tooth w just a mild fever and no complaning at all, now my 1 yr old is cutting teeth like crazy and he has had just about all of these! good luck :)
    kmh92902

Answer by kmh92902 at 12:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2010