School lunches?

My 5 yr old has always been kinda picky and ever since we weaned him out of his peanut allergy, the boy loves peanut butter and jelly and that's all he wants for his school lunches. I also pack things like pretzals, cheese stick, or applesauce, and juice or milk, but what are some other ideas so its not the same things every day? He's not big on meat and won't touch veggies! :( Any ideas would be nice! :P

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Last year when my 5 yr old was in Pre-K all he wanted was jelly sandwiches..so it is all he got...I have been a lunch lady and kids will throw out all of their lunch, they don't care, your not watching, lol, so anyway this yr we talked about it and he said he wanted a thermos so he could take hot foods...so I let him pick out the type of Thermos and let him pick out foods he wanted in it like, Ravioli and spagetti-o's and he will take some leftover foods in it to. I made him apart of his lunch choices and he is happier because of it.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I pack a thermos with hot food for my son sometimes. They make really good thermoses that will keep the food hot until lunchtime. I have put spaghetti in there, mac and cheese, soups, there are tons of ideas you can pack in a thermos. I have also seen these 'food bowls' advertised. You are supposed to heat them up and then it will keep the food warm til lunch, but i"ve never used one and do not know how good they are. Maybe someone else here has and can help out with that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• that's really hard becuase of the no meat and veggie issue. I buy the gogurts, but not that kind, I think they are called simplyfruit, and I freeze them so that by lunch time they are still cold. Also, I pack fresh fruits, cut up. Sometimes my girls love cold pasta with red sauce. I would not eat it, but my girls eat it up. I usually buy spagetti noodles, the Ronzoni kind. Garden Delight, enriched tomato, carrot, and spinach blend. That way there is a full serving of veggies in eat meal. Thats all I can think of right now. Good luck!
    IWantLotsOfKids

Answer by IWantLotsOfKids at 11:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Felipe pretty much eats PBJ every day. It's healthy enough, and he likes it, so I'm good. I do try to vary it every so often, just so he won't get sick of it. Some other things I pack are tortilla chips and hummus; apples and "apple dipping sauce" (peanut butter and plain yogurt and honey, or you can do pb and vanilla yogurt); edamame; black beans (he likes them cold); string cheese; tuna; pineapple. Good luck! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• we always pack whatever was leftover from dinner the night before to take for lunch the next day
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have the same probelm with my DS, but his school is peanut free due to a few kids that are deathly allergic ... so IDK what I am going to send in with him next year! The poor kid can't eat cold chicken nuggets every day ;o(

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Since he likes peanut butter, some people eat peanut butter with bananas. What about a grilled cheese sandwich? You can use different kind of cheeses depending on what he likes.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If that what he wants, don't fight it. If he gets bored with it, he'll let you know. I like the peanut butter and banana idea, my kids love them.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• In re: to He won't touch veggies. Check out www.childrenshealthstudy.com a simple way to get fruits and veggies into our kids diets. Contact me if you'd like more info about how simple it is to improve nutrition for our families.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 1:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010