I'm feeling really torn...

I am not looking for a job but was kind of offered one today, part time (20hrs/wk) in my field... I'm 27 weeks pregnant and was planning on being a SAHM...
I'm debating whether or not to take the job. only 20 hrs isn't bad... I think it might even be a relaxed enough environment that I could ask if I could bring my baby to work with me when she arrives...
Anyway, not exactly a question but I'd like to hear feedback from working and stay at home moms

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 11:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• Why not work and see if you like it. Even if you just work part time for now what is wrong with that? Make a list of pro-'s and con-'s and see which way your leaning.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I say think about it, pray about it, talk to your SO about it and make a list of pros and cons. Is it a schedule where your SO or Mom could watch the baby if you cannot take him/her?
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If it is a lax environment then maybe you should ask for a trial run of sorts. Try woking and then think about adding a baby to the mix and you can decide if it is feasble. I am a SAHM and would never choose to work unless it was necessary but I have friends that are completely happy working outside of the home. My big thing would be that I would never put my little one in child care but it sounds like you do not have to worry about that so you might go for it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• That is great news! I would call or go in tomorrow and ask them what the perks were. Go from there, employers like it when they know you want to stay with here company long term.
    SawyersMommy603

Answer by SawyersMommy603 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If you want to be a SAHM, but can not afford to you might consider a home based buisness. I am looking for people to help me expand mine. Contact me if you want more info!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 11:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I say try it for now, see if you like it, and then see how things will go after the baby comes. If it is somewhere that you can take the baby, then ask them. If you feel you can't ask that, maybe a friend or family member can help out. I worked when my first 2 were small and mil watched them both. I was like Melbornj - I didn't want to put my children in daycare (personal choice) and she offered to watch them. It was great! After my last son was born I wanted to stay home and I think mil was burned out anyway, so it worked for everyone involved...except the people who we owe money to :) lol If you really have your heart set on being a sahm then you can quit when you have the baby. But for now you could work, save up the unexpected money, and kind of test the waters
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i say try it out and see.you can always be a sahm if it dont work out.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:13 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You could always work until you give birth and save the money. You'll need it after the baby is born. And then, after the baby comes, you can decide whether you want to continue working or stay at home.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• its not even really about the money (though having extra cash on hand is always a good thing) its more about using my education and my experience in a fulfilling way... I'm definitely praying about it!
    elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Elizabiza,

I'm the president of the Parenting in the Workplace Institute; we help businesses to set up formal programs in which employees can bring their babies to work and care for them while doing their jobs (generally for six to eight months or until the child begins to crawl). I'm happy to talk to you (and/or to your prospective employer) about how to effectively bring your baby to work, if that would be helpful. You can also find a great deal of information on our websites.

Best wishes in your decision!

Carla Moquin
    BabiesAtWork.org
    ParentingAtWork.org
    carla @ babiesatwork.org
    (801) 897-8702
    cmoquin

Answer by cmoquin at 7:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2010