Should I stop my son from working in his "workbooks"

Hi, My son John is going be to starting school in a few weeks. Its his first time going to school. To get him ready my MIL and I have been buying him work books, worksheets, teaching him writing, & so on.

Well we started working on them last week & already he's finished 7 out of 8 workbooks. We went out & bought some more. The thing is, Hes not only writing. (its not pretty, but you can almost always tell what Letter it is.) Hes adding & subtracking...

A few of my friends think I should stop. Because he's already so smart & they are afraid he's going to be ahead of his class. I'll admit Im worried about it too. But at the same time, He loves it. We sat for three hours today going through his "work". He loves learning. Always have.

So my question is, should I keep him going, or put a hold on it, so he doesn't get too far ahead?

lilmoosesmom

Asked by lilmoosesmom at 11:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That's the silliest advice ever (from your friends). Let him have fun! You should ALWAYS encourage learning, especially if they're having fun while doing it. If he's ahead of the class then good for him :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If he loves doing it don't stop!! Don't worry about him being ahead of his class, be proud of it. There are things the school can do to accommadate him if he is too far ahead of his class.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:11 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• don't stop. if hes too far ahead they'll skip him. and there is nothing wrong with being the smartest kid in school. me and all my siblings could read and write at two and we fit in fine in school.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 11:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I think if he enjoys doing it and he's learning something, let him.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If he's enjoying it then let him be. Nothing wrong with being ahead.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 11:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If he likes doing it, that's all that matters. He's learning, and in a sense, he's already adjusting. Look at it this way, at least you will know that he will do his homework.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:19 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If he likes it, let him do it. Good luck!
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 8:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If he likes them keep it up. It deosnt hurt to be ahead.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 10:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I didn't think it would, but at the same time Im worried about him getting bored in school. & getting into trouble... Im really happy that he's learning soo much. He loves it. He just asked me if we could do more today. How do you tell a Child No you can't learn? I think that my "friend" is just being stupid...

If he gets ahead Im sure the teachers and I can figure something out. Thanks for the answers!!!
    lilmoosesmom

Comment by lilmoosesmom (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• as long as he likes it and is having fun doing it i wouldnt stop him. i would let him keep going .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2010