What do you eat?

When it comes to cooking at home do you like the meals that come out great and take maybe an hour to cook and get ready, or do you prefer the 1/2 packaged meals that take 30 minutes. i know 30 min. is convenient, but if you could get those hr meals down to 1/2 hr. which would you choose?

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I mostly cook from scratch... the idea of a home cooked meal is that it is home cooked.
    But I do have some things that I put together that are not totally scratch... those are for those busy sports nights when the kids have late practices.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I prefer to cook everything myself - even if it takes longer. Most of the packaged stuff is high on sodium and all kinds of other stuff we try to stay away from in our house. I think I have gotten pretty good at finding some quicker, healthier options that take a 1/2 hour and don't force us to eat the packaged, processed stuff.
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 12:00 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I cook everything from fresh. We don't buy packaged food at all. It doesn't take that long ton cook most meals that we eat. I make something big and time consuming occasionally - like lasagna.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• delivery
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:09 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i am constantly trying new recipes. so mostly i cook from scratch. i do buy some of those frozen stir fry meals and such for days i work until 9. I had to inform hubby one time that condensed soup meant you had to add water to it before you could eat it. therefore there is no way he could function in the kitchen on his own.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I mostly cook from whole ingredients. I do go the easy route occasionally too though. We usually eat beans (cooked from dry beans), steamed veggies, and rice or pasta.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I cook from scratch- 90% of the time.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I actually didn't think I would get this many different positive responses! If anyone is interested in helping other eat healthy,I request that you share your recipe's on my new group's page! http://www.cafemom.com/group/111570
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My husband and I cook most meals together.. from scratch. So it takes less time and we get to enjoy each others company for however long it takes.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:12 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I love to create new meals...my mom says a good cook never needs a recipe and some of my meals are to die for and stupid me didn't write down what I did to make such a good "meatloaf" for example.
    I have always found it easier to throw something together and let it cook in the oven for an hour or in the crock pot. I do alot of casseroles in the winter time and baking from scratch
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2010