What have you had to?

With the way the economy is, have you had to pick and choose what to give up? There are so many of us who are having to choose what bills to pay or cut back on things. Are you one of the lucky ones who have a good paying job and the economy is not affecting or have you had to give things up?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 11:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree with jg. you got to have a plan and discipline no matter what the economy is doin..most of us seen this comin four yrs ago so that was a lil time to prepare.i've never been a big spender and im still the coupon queen.lol.times will get better and these lessons we learned will stick with us..
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I've been lucky thank God
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We have been living on so little for so long, it's hard to describe. We live on about $600 per month (that's total), so we actually don't do a whole lot of anything extracurricular. We've lived without cable, internet, and phone. Let me tell you, the sacrifices you would make to get a phone.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 11:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• We haven't been affected, luckily.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I got tired of depending on other people for my income, so I have started my own business. This puts my fate in my hands! Anybody interested in finding out what I do, contact me. I am looking for people to help!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 12:00 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• my husband took a substantial temporary paycut to take on a new job. he will be back to where he was in 2012, so because of that and all the remodeling we have been doing over the years, we have to watch what we spend. not just one thing in particular. just that in the beginning of the month we pay all the bills and have nothing until he gets paid again. so it has been a little rough and a change.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• we have been okay. but since we moved things have been wayyyyy tight. we got rid of cable and never go out to eat..just little things here and there to save money. but my husband just got a big promotion at work today and i got a call for an interview today! so things are starting to look up.. :D
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 12:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• we have also lived on very little for so long it hasn't affected us THAT bad. we are really struggling to keep food on the table AND pay all our bills on time but if i gotta skip a bill until the next pay period then that's what i gotta do, it's more important to feed my kids... we have cut out all eating out though, which sucks cause i HATE cooking some days, kwim? and we never really 'went out' before but now we stay home even more then usual, we have Netflix though so the kids can watch lots of movies and dh and i have our game (WoW) so that is our only forms of entertainment...we'll survive :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:09 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We cut back and then had to stop paying certain bills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I planned out a long time ago when I was 27 years old what I needed to do to make my retirement comfortable. I worked 2 and 3 jobs at a time. I did what ever it took to stay away from debt at all costs. I would do without a lot for myself so my children could have some of the things they 'wanted' but always made sure they had all their needs. I have now retired and have at least three retirement checks each month, which makes life comfortable. It took a lot of going without then so I could have what I need now to live on. I don't think I could live without my TV, Internet or the occasional eat out at a cheap restaurant. I am a budget nerd, so I know how much is expected to go out each month. I keep my budget on Excel. I do not like to shop, so it not something I miss. Being a single Mom also made me question every thing I spent money on.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 12:17 AM on Aug. 17, 2010