Not again.....

My son is going into the 9th grade for the third time. He did real well in summer school and I really thought he was doing well. He was mastering everything for the online class. Then he went for his end of course test for English and failed it. To top that all off, they assigned him to the same teachers AGAIN! I called the school about this and they think it's better this way. I have my doubts. Okay, so he's not the best student in the world (I'm willing to admit that), but I think that the teachers are part of the problem. He's on an IEP, where he is supposed to receive some help and sit up from due to a hearing loss. And he can be tested in a different setting than the other students. Therefore, no distractions. I don't know what to do. Any help will be appreciated.

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:36 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you really think that the teachers might be part of the problem then you need to make sure that they switch him to different teachers. It is hard to push something that the school does not seem to want to work with but you know what is best. It sounds like perhaps they think that if he has teachers who have helped him previously that he might flourish but truly that does not seem to be the case and it seems like perhaps starting a new route might be the way to go. If he is almost there with these teachers though you might want to just push him for this year instead of starting him all over. I am not sure if that made any sense but I hope that things get better for him, I am sure that he has frustrated if he is truly trying to apply himself. You might look into some private tutoring or something like that to help him along.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:45 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Has the IEP been followed? I used to teach elementary school and it was a real problem when the kids went to middle school because beyond elementary they didn't seem to pay attention to the IEP. And if you think the teachers aren't a good fit, then you should't be afraid to keep making noise. You are your son's best advocate! Also, is it possible to have him re-tested to make sure the hearing issue isn't something else like an auditory processing difficulty? That just means that he may hear what is being said but depending on how it is said it is difficult for him to understand. It's like dyslexia for the ears. In my 15 years in the education world, if I see a boy who has to repeat a grade so many times, I ask what is going on with that school? What are they doing and why don't they change it cuz it clearly ISN'T working! Talk to the principal and don't take no for an answer because you need to protect your child!
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 12:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I didnt do well in high school and ended up going to an alternative school which worked much better for me.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I had to go to alternative to. Maybe you should look into that.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 12:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I would switch his teacher just to see if that will help.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Put your foot down. Call for an IEP meeting. By law, you are the person who decides what is best for your son and you have to sign the IEP. Don't let the educators tell you what is best....they are also looking out for themselves. You are the only person who has the best interests of your son 100%. If you are feeling nice, you might give it a couple of weeks to see if there is any progress being made. And, very importantly, don't be in denial about your son. Don't make excuses. Don't feel guilty....just get the job done and that is to stand up to the educators and demand a proper education for your son. If it means you demand a personal assistant for your son...then do it. Demand more testing. Do some research and look for every possibility that could be a problem for your son and get the most assistance from the school as possible.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The school is failing your son! YOu need to fight for him!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Update on this question, he did make it to 10th grade and I think that his summer school teacher deserves so much for getting him through it. He put forth a lot of effort to this. I told him how proud I was of him.
    amessageofhope

Comment by amessageofhope (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Sep. 14, 2010