Do you have any strategies for cleanliness and organization?

Okay, so I have come to realize I am just very disorganized and scatter-brained. I'm always late and I can't seem to keep up with the messes around here. I get the place clean and keep it that way for a week or so and then something happens... my daughter blows through with a mess, we go on a trip, have to pull things apart searching for something (living in a very small space) and suddenly its a wreck again. Then it gets worse, because its intimidating. We're buying a house, and I really want to change my ways and have a house that is always pleasant to live in and always ready for company. I'd also like to be on-time more often than late. Any tips are welcome, but I'd especially love tips from women who aren't naturally clean or organized, and have strategies that help them! I'm also going on flylady and trying to use some of her routines. Thanks in advance!

Bellarose0212

Asked by Bellarose0212 at 12:43 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I'm usually pretty clean/organized. But I have those I just don't give a crap anymore times. To get my house back in order I take it one room at a time. I sit down write every room down on a piece of paper. Then what I want to get done in those rooms. After that I usually just go with the order I wrot them down. My house for example has a total of 7 rooms (I count my 2 bathrooms as 1 for this). Each day I concentrate on that one room. Throwing things away, giving things away, or finding a "home" for the things I want to keep. The process continues for about a week, depending on how many rooms you have. And as you go each day tidy up the rooms you've already done. This will declutter, organize and get you on a scedual. Hope this helped out a little, good luck :)
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Nope I just clean one mess at a time. I try to keep a load going at all time and then fold and put away immediately and then return to whatever I am cleaning at the moment.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• keep up with the clutter by cleaning up daily. set aside time for it every day. and make a list of other things you want to acomplish at the begining of the week and mark a few off every day.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:48 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have a Home Management Binder. It contains daily/weekly/monthly, etc, cleaning lists for each room; as well as a telephone/address directory, needs/wants lists, meal plans/grocery lists. This binder has saved my life and my marriage because it helps me stay organized and on top of everything.
    Proudmumof2

Answer by Proudmumof2 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yeah, Jennifer, I do that, for the 1-3 weeks that I keep it clean, I clean every night. Then something throws me out of wack, like I'm away or I get sick, and it ends up such a mess that I feel intimidated. Melbornj, ah I will be so happy when I move and can keep our laundry going. Right now we don't have a washer in our house, so we have to take our laundry to my parents house or my dh's dad's. It builds up because its hard for me to lug the laundry with the toddler, and that's part of the mess in this small area. I'm hoping just being in our own environment with a dishwasher and washer/dryer will be very helpful. Thanks for both of the replies. I think I am also going to keep toyboxes/shelving in each room in the new house so that keeping her toys picked up with be easier.
    Bellarose0212

Comment by Bellarose0212 (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• For every box or bag of stuff you bring into the house, you must eliminate (donate)an equal amount. The key to everything is organization. Everything must have an assigned place and it must be returned to that spot at night. The house must be arranged for the next day's activities the night before. Backpacks at the door, lunches semi-packed, breakfast planned. Never put stuff off- deal with it as it comes in. Junk mails go right to recycling before it hits the counter....

Diary of an older mom who raised 2 kids while working....

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Thanks everyone. Where I'm living now is just one big conglomeration of space. It's like a bedroom, a bathroom, and one big kitchen-livingroom-playroom-office space. It's tiny. That's part of the problem, there isn't enough room for everything we need to do. But I don't want to fool myself that the problem will be fixed with more space, I need to change my approach and routines too.
    Bellarose0212

Comment by Bellarose0212 (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I wake up and clean for 2 1/2 hours til the house is perfect then i keep up with it all day, after dinner I clean sweepingagain for about an hour! I am very in tuned to my home, and take pride in cleanliness! I think if you have children your home should always be clean and sanitary!

JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Here are my cleaning steps
    1. Changing the sheets
    2. Arranging the shelves
    3. Vacuum or mopping
    3. Wiping the dust
    I think that is all.
    BlSarah

Answer by BlSarah at 5:31 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If your children have hands...and can walk and while carrying something...they can clean up after themselves.When you decide you will make them do it on a regular basis. They won't do it just because.
    If you really really really want to be clean and orgainized you will be. people do what works for them to satisfy a need somewhere. you need to make a decision as to whether or not your really want a clean house..if you do you'll have one.
    Sorry to be so blunt but it's not rocket science or a planned event. Just make a decision.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2010