Gout

My SO has it bad, the Med he was giving doesn't work. I brought him some cherries and didn't help. He doesn't eat beef so I don't know why he keep getting it. Exactly what is it and where does it come from.

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 12:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Health

• My hubby has it, he takes a daily med to keep from having flare-ups - allopurinol. Basically what happens is when the body processes protein is makes uric acid, if there is too much uric acid it can crystalize in joint (usually the big toe, but my hubby has his in his baby toe). This causes extreme pain and swelling. The area is very sensitive - my hubby can't wear socks, have a blanket covering it, even a fan blowing on it causes pain. He has an Rx med for when he has flare-ups called colchicine, but it causes diarrhea, so he can't walk, but has to run to the bathroom :( He hasn't had a flare-up in a long time, between the med and other preventative measures. Drink lots of water, it's important to stay well hydrated so the kidneys can process the uric acid. Watch how much protien is eaten, not just beef, but all protiens. We've also found that stress can precipitate an attack for my hubby, so he's learned to de-stress
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• He has too much uric acid levels in his blood. It's actually an acute inflammatory arthritis condition. They can prescribe Nsaids, but he has to make lifestyle changes. If you are noticing it more at night, it's because of the drop in body temperature. His diet has to be pretty strictly followed, cutting down on dairy, meats and the avoidance of alcohol. I would definitely talk to his doctor about a visit to a dietician.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Is he still working with his doctor? If one med treatment doesn't work, he may need to try another. And yes... diet has ALOT to do with it.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Just wanted to mention that my hubby does drink and hasn't had a flare-up in well over a year ... but I think that staying well hydrated is what helps. He also gets severe headaches when he's dehydrated so he's very concious of drinking lots of water and staying hydrated.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When you said alcohol that may be the problem.
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Thanks he tell me he was stressed Saturday and Sunday.
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Aug. 17, 2010