breastfeeding, sids & guilt... at what cost?

I just read something that said "not breastfeeding has been linked with increased risk of sids"... and the main reason more woman are not aware of this is so we do not put guilt on mothers for choosing not to breastfeed!

What do you think?
(Please give me one moment to post the link below so you can read it in full)

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the american sids institute, the mayo clinic, and many other highly recognized institutes back this theory and list breastfeeding as a way to decrease the risk of sids, for a few reasons: They also concluded that breastfeeding was protective against respiratory and gastrointestinal infections, two factors that have been implicated in increasing the risk of SIDS; They concluded that breastfeeding is second only to back position as a protective factor against SIDS; Experiments show that breastfeeding babies are more easily aroused from sleep. Breastfeeding benefits a baby’s immune system. As a result, babies may be less likely to succumb to infections that could trigger a SIDS event.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Mothers are guilted enough as it is. This just sounds like something else to blame them for. Wishful thinking but it needs to end already.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i dont know what is going on, but when i click on the link it just brings me to this page??? anyway. I dont know about all that to be honest. Im not an avocate or have strong belifes either way. My decsion to formula feed was my decision and no one elses buisness. my decision to try breastfeeding this time has nothing to do with studies or other peoples opinions. its my decision and no one elses.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:34 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• IDk if i believe this. my mom brestfead my brother but he still died at 3 months of SIDS..
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:34 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Non-Organic Formula's also cause an increase in hormones, thus boys and girls getting boobs at a very young age.

Formula was originally meant for women who could not BF. All but a mere 3% world wide. The rest I believe, and some doctors believe is because of lack of support, knowledge and want/determination.

I think all risks of formula should be printed right on the canister that it comes in.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:35 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The only argument I've heard that breastfeeding helps lower the risk of SIDS is because the baby wakes up more often throughout the night to feed. Doesn't sound like a very solid argument to me, considering formula fed babies usually wake up just as often.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:54 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's not the wakings that lower SIDS, thhough that can help. It is the amount of time babies spend in deep cycles of sleep. Babies should spend more time in lighter sleep stages, NOT deep sleep. It is also hormonal interaction, itsone of the reasons why premies do so much better with kangaroo care -- breathing, heartrate, temperature stabilization. It's also why cosleeping safely also lowers SIDS--hormonal interaction, and the proximity to a living body going through sleep movements and breathing.

op here is your fixed link: http://analyticalarmadillo.blogspot.com/2010/08/breastfeeding-sids-guilt-at-what-cost.html.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:33 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Anyonymous that is not true. Cosleeping safely LOWERS the risk of sids. SIDS used to be called CRIB death. If you notice with the few suffocation (not sids) incidences with cosleeping the parents were A. not sleeping in a bed B. bottlefeeding (breastfeeding pairs sleep very differently and not as deeply and are much more aware...ie. baby sleeps in the arm pit where it is safe vs. dangerously near pillows and headboard) C. on medication/drugs/smoking or otherwise artifically impaired.

Cosleeping is very common in other countries and SIDS unheard of.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't know about your armpits anonymous, but mine are clean! Where else is a breastfeeder supposed to put a baby when they sidelie to nurse? That's where your breast is! Babies end up at chest leven in the pit area. This prevents roll overs because you HAVE TO MOVE YOUR ARM in order to shift position. No one rolls over in deep sleep because you are sleep-paralyzed (if you weren't you'd be a sleep walker). Just like when you are pregnant, you favor one side to sleep on. If I want to sleep on the other side I shift the baby to that side. You CAN sleep on your back and side with the baby at breast level. You obviously don't know the dynamics of a breastfeeding pair in sleep! What about my husband? He doesn't have breasts! I have a side carred crib for additional room and safety so the baby sleeps next to me, not between us. If she does sleep between us occasionally she is safe tucked under my arm.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• And there is NO WAY I could suffocate my baby with my breast -- they are voluminous yes...but hardly a suffocation hazard. I do not take meds, I do not smoke. Neither does my husband. If I take a tylenal a handful of times a year that's a lot!

Not all co-sleepers in other countries lack money. Do you think the united states is the only country that has people living above the poverty line!? It makes no sense to separate a mother and baby. It makes breastfeeding more difficult and requires contraptions like sleep apnea monitors and regular monitors. Mother's sleep with their babies because it is logical and SAFE. It's like babywearing. It is very safe. Note that the deaths in USA slings were due to the modern bag product. All over the world women wear their babies!

If babies "should" be sleeping separate then why did SIDS appear only after cribs and separate rooms were in popular use?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010